The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do ya'll think. She was slighty swollen , but eating fine yesterday and this morning has quit eating. Even her eyes are swollen.

What do y'all think?

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
could be bottle jaw or Goiter, its hard to tell, check for anemia which usually follows bottle jaw...if she is pale then I would treat as bottle jaw, other wise I would think Goiter since hse is so young..if you could you take a pic with out your hand holding her chin it would be easier to see which it is..Goiter tend to sit way back where bottle jaw kind of goes all over the chin and many time the outer jaw and face as well....

for the watery eyes, I would wash and dry them, give her a b complex shot, take her temp and see how she does..could be the start of something or could be dust, a cold or irritation

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Her entire head appears to be swollen, and it looks like her 3rd eyelid is up. I'm not sure if that is due to the swelling or not, though. Could she have been bitten by a rattlesnake? You might try some benedryl or talk to your vet about Dexamethasone. Dex is a steroidal anti inflammatory. Although she looks to be too young to breed, if she is pregnant Dex can cause her to abort. In the mean time I would keep a close eye on her in case the swelling spreads and starts interfering with her breathing or swallowing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pretty sure it's not a snake bite. She's going down pretty quick. I gave her 3cc of B complex and 1 cc of injectable iron. I don't see her making it much longer :(

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Get a temp on her...she doesnt look good...Check her eye lids..what color are they? If youhave benadryl give her a big dose..

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
if her eyes were pale she has worms....treat he for worms and cocci... as you said, she dont look like she will make it much longer...time to get aggressive if you can.. sending good thoughts for full recovery!!

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Ok you need to warm her up...use a blanet or large towel to make a tent and a blowdryer to heat the air or you can put her in a plastic bag head out and puther in a tub of very warm water...Once you get her temp up...Do an anema....

Mix 1-2 tablespoon of cookingoil in about 1/2 cup warm water..using a syringe stir and draw up some mix and gently insert tip to her bum..push slowly..message and do it again..essage until she poops...dont over fill, but she needs to be filled enough to push..this can take 30-45 minutes or longer..be patient and gentle....

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
keep us posted...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Temp was 90, I misread it. It's now 94.3 and climbing slowing. At what temp should I do the enema?

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Good keep working on getting her warm! I would wait until she has at least 100 temp..low normal is 101.5.....you want her alert and her body functioning...

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
How is she?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Her temp is normal, but she's still very lethargic. Can't hold her head up.
She's sleeping in a doggie bed on top of a heating pad right now. Probably going to do the enema in the morning if she hasn't pooped by then. Fingers crossed!!!!!

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
great job getting her temp up but I wouldnt wait on th enema...if she has not pooped it is building toxicity in her gut....she needs to clear it out...a bit of milk of magensia will bind toxins and loosen stool...dont wait..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts