Doelings eyelid turned under

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by comingsummers, Feb 12, 2011.

1. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Hello. I have a friend that has a one week old doeling that her eyelid is turned under. We don't have any goat vets in our area. Is there anything we cab do to fix this? Thanks!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sorry about the eye ... :(
    Depending on... how severe it is...you can do the treatment in the link below...if it can't be fixed that way.... you will need a vet put a stitch or 2 in it... to fix it.......left untreated .....the goat will become blind in that eye...... it is a genetic thing and the goat born with it.... can pass it on... to their offspring.... :(

Good luck... :hug:

This is from the link below...
    20. Inverted eyelids-use a piece of dental floss and super glue. Get the kid in someone’s arms or hold until they quiet down. Take a piece of dental floss and put one drop of super glue on one end of the floss. Apply glued floss to lid near the eye, just below the eyelashes on the outer edge not inner edge, then when the glue is stuck, pull slightly to get the eyelid t o pull away from the eyeball so the lashes do not rub against the eyeball. Then take a loose end about ½ inch down from the first glued spot and glue to the area below or above the eyeball. Depends upon which lash you are treating, upper, or lower. Clip the remaining dental floss off. This is like taking a stitch to keep the eyelid positioned correctly until the eye can heal. While doing this I also use eye ointment terramycin 2 to 3 times a day for the ulcerated cornea. Don’t worry about the super glue it falls off in about three days, which is usually about what it takes to correct the problem.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=14841&p=184474&hilit=Inverted+eyelid#p184474

3. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Pam, thanks for the quick and thorough answer. I passed the info on to my friend and hopefully she can do it. We did also hear that there is a new vet about two hours from her that may be able to do it. Thanks again!

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome....if she doesn't feel she can do the repair...it is good... that she has a backup vet... that can help the baby.... :hug: :wink: :hi5: