doeling's hair falling out!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Sarah, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Olive, Oklahoma
    My friend has a boer/pygmy cross doeling about 1 or 1 1/2 months old. Recently her hair started falling out. It isn't bald underneath, there is very short hair under it. The hair underneath it looks healthy and normal. It just looks like she is shedding! But i was wondering if it could be something else. She does have lice but not bad at all. It's weird because she was born with the longer hair but underneath is the short sleek coat of some boer goats ive seen. So is it just shedding for the season change or something else? she is bottle fed and has no other health problems except when she was born my friend is sure she had the floppy kid syndrome (couldnt stand on her own for the first SEVERAL hours of life, very weak, didnt look for momma, momma didnt look for her, never tried to nurse, just layed there and didnt even cry other than a few small sounds). Any advice or opinions would be appreciated! Thank you!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sounds like normal shedding ........ :wink:

this year..... has been bad for the warm weeks and then it goes back to the cold...which isn't good when they shed.....If it gets to cold... keep her in a warm barn and put a sweater on her.....if she... does have Lice...even just a few... I would treat her.... :thumb:

3. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Olive, Oklahoma
    Re: doeling hair falling out!

OK. Thank you very much! I will tell her to treat for lice. And I'm glad its most likely just shedding. I just have never seen it that drastic! She looks like she was born pygmy and turning into boer! lol! I appreciate your input! (learnin' as we go)

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I am going through the same thing here 2 of my guys are losing hair to the point they have bald spots and I have had to blanket them, we have had drastic up's and downs in our temps........I am also treating for external parasites just to be sure....my guys are adults though, not sure what you can use on a kid.

5. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Olive, Oklahoma
    This little girl doesn't have bald spots. It's funny...it just looks like she is going from a long haired goat to a short haired goat! Our temps are going crazy too! One day it will be 70 the next daynthe high is 34! But thats Oklahoma for ya! Thanks for the input!!

6. PattiXmas

PattiXmas New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    When I was at a goat expo over the weekend, I learned that sometimes low iodine would cause the goats to lose some hair. Not sure how true it is, but it's a thought.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    With temps like that... yep... it is from the weather... telling them to shed.... :hug:

8. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Olive, Oklahoma
    LOL! Thanks everyone! We will keep brushing her real good. I'm sure it is itchy!!