The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am bringing home my first buckling in a couple weeks and I have two separated areas for the goats but they can still be close. Should I put my wether in with him or will he be fine since he's close to the others? We have 2x4 horse fencing so I don't think he can breed through the fence but if its possible I can put hardware cloth over it.
Thank you

Registered
I would suggest getting a wether as a companion for him! Goats loves having buddies to play around with. And just in case your buck and wether get out of the area and accidentally breed, you won鈥檛 need to worry about which one bred which, since you only technically have one buck. Congrats on getting a buck though!!

Super Moderator
Yupper...bucks need a friend of the same size. So I would not throw a nigerian wether in with a Saanen buck.. I do suggest introducing your wether to your buck carefully and not while in rut. Rut can make them more aggressive and not a great state of mind to meet another male. What we did is make a pen near the buck pen where the boys could see and smell eachother but the new guy was safe. Once breeding season was over and hormones closed for the short season of no rut lol..we put the new boy in with the other and allow some bantering and such. As long as no one was hurting another we just watched. My Buck was a big ol baby and was gentle so we didn't have too much trouble. By days end they were laying under the tree together chewing their cuds. Some introductions do take longer. Good luck!!

Super Moderator
If your new bucks a baby. Then that will be an easier transition. You do need to be sure the 2 year old wether will be kind to him. So keep watch. Somtimes it's easier to bring two home from same farm, bit if your wether is a gentle guy..it might work out just fine.

Registered
He would probably be fine by himself but putting a wether with him is better. My buck lived by himself before i got him. When i bought him i was thinking i'd have to look for a wether as well but his previous owner said he did better on his own..... he has always been close to another animal tho. His first pen at my place was just electric and it was inbetween my does pen and the cow pasture..he stayed in there until he had eaten everything down and then just crawled out and wandered around the yard for a couple hours lol he showed the dogs who was boss 馃ぃ he has also been in with the cow and heifer calf, but he didnt stay in there long cuz he couldnt get at the water once it was done a little bit and we only had 2 strands of electric so he moved in with the steers. he is now in his own pen again that is right off the steers pen and he is happy!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all the responses will see how it goes. The pens are right next to each other so I can take my wether out if he's being mean. He does pretty good with my kids I have now.

Registered
I agree that a buck should never be alone - they really need a friend with them. I see this is from a week ago but I've done this several times; introducing a young (8 week old) buckling to my older bucks. We made a wooden table that has open sides but a 2x4 piece of wood screwed onto the legs part of the way down each side. The 'baby' can easily run under the table but the older boys cannot follow. I, personally, have never had a buck that didn't immediately accept a new pen mate but I'm sure it happens. I also keep a close eye on them and remove the 'baby' at night and put him safely in a large dog crate in the barn (next to the other goats so they can even touch noses if they want and he doesn't feel alone - he can't be with them as I don't want accidental breedings) for a couple of weeks - just to be safe.

I've also had Nigerian bucks with Nubian bucks and they were best friends forever. Again, every goat is different with their personalities so you have to keep a close eye on any introductions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts