The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I am....again....about Heidi. :( The last 2 milkings have been a little over half her normal. I pulled her last kid about 4 days ago. She is getting 24/7 hay, plenty of water and minerals and at milking, 8 am and 7 30 pm , 6 cups (a total of 12 cups a day) of 50/50 alfalfa and sweet 18%.

There was one day where she had not had access to 24/7 hay since my husband was doing the chores that day and figured they still had hay from the day before.When he filled it the next morning there was a little left but not much...she is used to having it free choice...could one day of having less hay have done this?

I know I am milking her out....and I massage and bump the bag to get the rest...she acts healthy, has a lot of energy, and is eating/peeing/pooping fine :confused:

I am beginning to think she is a really hard keeper :(

·
Super Moderator
58,935 Posts
They can go down in production when in heat. They can also go down in production when it is hotter than normal for your area. My girl went down in production when we had that couple weeks of 90+ temps which is very unusual for Ohio.

I'm also seeing some really good things with using Replamin Plus for my girls. I have been giving it to them every other week. Even with the minerals and kelp and good hay and good feed and properly wormed/copper bolused/BoSe, they are still looking even better with the Replamin.

·
Super Moderator
58,935 Posts
I don't know. My girl hasn't come back up in production yet.

I got the Replamin Plus at PBS Livetock. It is a 300cc tube and you have to order the gun to go with it. The gun has a way to give just 5g or 10g or 15g along with larger doses.

·
Proud goat momma
423 Posts
I hadn't heard of replamin so I looked it up(I'm a Google fan) it says not for use in sheep and goats because of the copper content. Sheep yes but I wouldn't think whoever wrote the warning would be uneducated enough to still think goats are as sensitive to copper as sheep. The copper level is pretty high in the replamin. How much copper is too much for goats?

Edited to add: I ask because I haven't copper bolused but have been considering it on the new girls. Could this work in place of bolusing?

·
Super Moderator
58,935 Posts
Supposedly they are supposed to change that. There is definitely not too much copper in it for goats. Of course just about everything is labeled not for goats anyway.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
True, but how about the manganese? It has that in it and my hay is grown in soil with high levels of manganese which inhibits copper absorption.(along with my hard water :( ) I wonder if it'd be too much...

Also, i don't know if you (Karen)were referring to the high temps or from heat...Heidi made it through the high temps fine and it's been cool for almost a week now, so I would think it was from her being in heat? If so, should her production come right back up?

·
1,983 Posts
Our does have started their fall heat cycles which are stronger then the heat cycles during the summer. And milk has dropped. Her production should bounce back with no problem. They have just got boys on their mind instead of making milk. This morning I had 5 does standing on a box with their rear-ends towards the bucks waving hello. And Cleo SCREAMING at the top of her lungs. Who ever thinks nubians are loud have not met this little nigie and her "singing" voice it would make the straightest hair curl.

·
Super Moderator
58,935 Posts
Edited to add: I ask because I haven't copper bolused but have been considering it on the new girls. Could this work in place of bolusing?
I'm really not sure. Depends on your farm. I still have to copper bolus but I'm hoping not to have to copper bolus as often.

·
Super Moderator
58,935 Posts
True, but how about the manganese? It has that in it and my hay is grown in soil with high levels of manganese which inhibits copper absorption.(along with my hard water :( ) I wonder if it'd be too much...

Also, i don't know if you (Karen)were referring to the high temps or from heat...Heidi made it through the high temps fine and it's been cool for almost a week now, so I would think it was from her being in heat? If so, should her production come right back up?
As far as the replamin, you would have to figure out if that would work for your farm. It is working for me. Every farm is different though.

I did mean both. I can't remember, is she an FF?

·
Super Moderator
58,935 Posts
My girl's production has not come back up since our heat wave but she is an FF so I'm thinking that could be a part of my problem. I honestly don't know how long it could take to come back up, I would think there is the possibility of it not coming back up. You may have to do extra things to get it back up like milk 3 times a day. Give herbs that help up production.

·
Registered
905 Posts
My Bella went down to 3 cups last winter. I ordered "Mo Milk" from Molly's Herbals, and within 2 days of giving it to her, (sprinkled on her morning carrots), she was back up to 8 or 9 cups in the morning, and has never dropped like that again. I stopped giving her the herbs in the spring. I keep some on hand because I know without a doubt they work great.

(We only milk once a day and Bella was a FF April 2012 and still going strong.)

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Herdqueen~She gave me about the same as the last 2 days...hoping it increases in a day or two....

Karen~ I will be out of town all day tomorrow, but I may start that Monday or Tuesday if I don't see more production. Can't wait to have more than one doe lactating, then at least you have a fall back!
How long should she be in heat?

If not I will look into the "Mo Milk" Thanks goatieGranny!

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ugh....still not up to what it was....could it be because I took her last kid? Hoping tomorrow in the am it will be better. I am going to have to try that MO Milk from Fiasco Farms...

Does anyone know how long production can decrease when it's due to heat? Is it a week?? More, less?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts