The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Shady Acre Homestead
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I am....again....about Heidi. :( The last 2 milkings have been a little over half her normal. I pulled her last kid about 4 days ago. She is getting 24/7 hay, plenty of water and minerals and at milking, 8 am and 7 30 pm , 6 cups (a total of 12 cups a day) of 50/50 alfalfa and sweet 18%.

There was one day where she had not had access to 24/7 hay since my husband was doing the chores that day and figured they still had hay from the day before.When he filled it the next morning there was a little left but not much...she is used to having it free choice...could one day of having less hay have done this?

I know I am milking her out....and I massage and bump the bag to get the rest...she acts healthy, has a lot of energy, and is eating/peeing/pooping fine :confused:

I am beginning to think she is a really hard keeper :(

· Shady Acre Homestead
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
True, but how about the manganese? It has that in it and my hay is grown in soil with high levels of manganese which inhibits copper absorption.(along with my hard water :( ) I wonder if it'd be too much...

Also, i don't know if you (Karen)were referring to the high temps or from heat...Heidi made it through the high temps fine and it's been cool for almost a week now, so I would think it was from her being in heat? If so, should her production come right back up?

· Shady Acre Homestead
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Herdqueen~She gave me about the same as the last 2 days...hoping it increases in a day or two....

Karen~ I will be out of town all day tomorrow, but I may start that Monday or Tuesday if I don't see more production. Can't wait to have more than one doe lactating, then at least you have a fall back!
How long should she be in heat?

If not I will look into the "Mo Milk" Thanks goatieGranny!

· Shady Acre Homestead
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ugh....still not up to what it was....could it be because I took her last kid? Hoping tomorrow in the am it will be better. I am going to have to try that MO Milk from Fiasco Farms...

Does anyone know how long production can decrease when it's due to heat? Is it a week?? More, less?

· Shady Acre Homestead
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Good question....I don't know. But she had her kids may 2nd, and it's now only been 3 months?? Or would she dry off around the same time each year as long as her kids were gone?
So much to learn , it's unbelievable! LOL.... I think I have a good thing going, and wham! Another twist in the road! :rolleyes:

If she is used to drying off early, can that be changed? I gave her 2 tbsp of Mo Milk this am and 1 tbsp this eve. I have not decreased her feed, she is getting 12 cups of 50/50 alfalfa and sweet 18%, along with 24/7 grassy hay.
I'll be giving her 1 tbsp per feeding daily. I hope to see improvement soon!

· Shady Acre Homestead
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I think HerdQueen is right...I think she was dried off by september....I bought her last August and she was only being milked once a day...I remember asking her why and she said cause she'd been milking since April....so her body is probably used to that pattern. I am going to continue the Mo Milk as long as she keeps up producing any.I'll be glad if next year i can have at least 2 in milk!Heidi is paying the way for everyone right now....LOL

· Shady Acre Homestead
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
That's great. Going up in production is better than going down! :) I had Bella on it for over a month to be sure she would keep it up...and she did. More than ever.
Oh....how much increase did you see? And how long did it take to get it?

· Shady Acre Homestead
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Ok Heidi is officially giving me only 3 1/2 pints a day...as a last resort, I am sticking her doeling back on her during the day to see if that helps her production.

I really think it is just her being used to being dried off this time of year...does anyone know how you can, or IF you can, increase length of lactation in a doe over five?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.