The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Shady Acre Homestead
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Good question....I don't know. But she had her kids may 2nd, and it's now only been 3 months?? Or would she dry off around the same time each year as long as her kids were gone?
So much to learn , it's unbelievable! LOL.... I think I have a good thing going, and wham! Another twist in the road! :rolleyes:

If she is used to drying off early, can that be changed? I gave her 2 tbsp of Mo Milk this am and 1 tbsp this eve. I have not decreased her feed, she is getting 12 cups of 50/50 alfalfa and sweet 18%, along with 24/7 grassy hay.
I'll be giving her 1 tbsp per feeding daily. I hope to see improvement soon!

· Shady Acre Homestead
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I think HerdQueen is right...I think she was dried off by september....I bought her last August and she was only being milked once a day...I remember asking her why and she said cause she'd been milking since April....so her body is probably used to that pattern. I am going to continue the Mo Milk as long as she keeps up producing any.I'll be glad if next year i can have at least 2 in milk!Heidi is paying the way for everyone right now....LOL

· Shady Acre Homestead
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
That's great. Going up in production is better than going down! :) I had Bella on it for over a month to be sure she would keep it up...and she did. More than ever.
Oh....how much increase did you see? And how long did it take to get it?

· Registered
871 Posts
Oh....how much increase did you see? And how long did it take to get it?
Within a few days she went from around 3 cups up to 8 or 9 cups. The first day after giving her the Mo' Milk, she went to 4 cups, then 5, then the bigger jump to 8 or 9....I can't remember which for sure. She's giving us 12 cups now which is more than ever. I only milk once per day as her previous owner did. She was a FF in April of 2012 and has been giving us milk ever since. Awwww, she's so sweet! :)

· Registered
871 Posts
^^wow! I am not seeing that kind of increase... :( I would love to though!! But I am still getting some, so that's better than none!
There are probably a lot of different variables that influence the outcome, but you're heading in the right direction. Maybe you could increase the herbs a wee bit....?

I always cut up carrots and sprinkled the herbs on top of them....like sugar on cereal. The goats went nuts over them. LOL.

· Shady Acre Homestead
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Ok Heidi is officially giving me only 3 1/2 pints a day...as a last resort, I am sticking her doeling back on her during the day to see if that helps her production.

I really think it is just her being used to being dried off this time of year...does anyone know how you can, or IF you can, increase length of lactation in a doe over five?

· Registered
7,663 Posts
Ok Heidi is officially giving me only 3 1/2 pints a day...as a last resort, I am sticking her doeling back on her during the day to see if that helps her production.

I really think it is just her being used to being dried off this time of year...does anyone know how you can, or IF you can, increase length of lactation in a doe over five?
I don't know.. So sorry! For your sake I hope so. I would just keep milking her for as long as you can though.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.