The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had any problems with coccidia so I never treated for it. But was told I should be treating my goats to prevent ever having any issues in the future. This is what I was told to use. So I'm just wondering if anyone else uses it. I was told to dose goats a single dose at 1cc per 5 lbs. (babies every other week and adults 3 times a year)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,202 Posts
You need to do what is right for your farm. I don't do any preventative coccidia treatment at this point since I don't have a problem. Many people do and they do have to give preventative treatment in kids. I have never used that drug so can't comment on it.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never had any problems with coccidia so I never treated for it. But was told I should be treating my goats to prevent ever having any issues in the future. This is what I was told to use. So I'm just wondering if anyone else uses it. I was told to dose goats a single dose at 1cc per 5 lbs. (babies every other week and adults 3 times a year)
I think i
It is also called baycox

·
Registered
29,935 Posts
Yes its very good...and some do preventive.... treat at three weeks one dose 1 cc per 5#...if babies have cocci you do a second treatment ten days later...I dont do more than that..some do as you stated...like Karen said its up to you ifyou want to do often..I wouldnt do it every other week...if I had an issue on farm I might choose to do it monthly until kids were 3 months old..I would only treat my adults if fecal presented cocci..

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes its very good...and some do preventive.... treat at three weeks one dose 1 cc per 5#...if babies have cocci you do a second treatment ten days later...I dont do more than that..some do as you stated...like Karen said its up to you ifyou want to do often..I wouldnt do it every other week...if I had an issue on farm I might choose to do it monthly until kids were 3 months old..I would only treat my adults if fecal presented cocci..
Don't mean to sound like a dummy but how do I do a fecal or how do I go about getting one done?

·
Registered
29,935 Posts
yep thats it..: ) any vet can do a fecal exam...mine charges $12 to do one but I have heard it can cost a bit more in some areas...:D
or if you get a micro scope you can do your own at home...there are web sites that teach you how..

·
Registered
321 Posts
I haven't used that drug for cocci. preventative. Interesting, though. I'm always interested in learning about new meds.

I do use Di-Methox (generic Albon) for cocci. preventative, though I've not had a problem with it. I read a Hoegger's article on it, and follow their protocol.

·
Registered
29,935 Posts
I haven't used that drug for cocci. preventative. Interesting, though. I'm always interested in learning about new meds.
I always used SUlmet with success but a few years ago we had our first bad breakout of cocci..sulmet was not working and a fewof my kids were getting pretty bad off...a friend had the same problem..almost lost her prize buck...she found Baycox and withher vet began testing the results..forher buck she gave a pill made for dogs with the same medication ($35 for one pill!!) but it helped..she ordered Baycox...tsted all her kids and wrote down the egg count...treated evey one and her vet tested fecal again three days in a row...SUCCESS...a few needed a second treatment ten days later...after that every one was all but clear of cocci eggs and all had dry bums ....so when I told her my situation she said BAYCOX!! I called my vet and talked things over..he made several calls on my behalf on the effectivnessof baycox in goats..he called Canada and Australia found it was already be used successfully in sheep...so I ordered it used it and had success...since you use it so little there chance of resistance any time soon and to me cost effective in the long run.....ok..my 2 cents lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts