The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one of my boys dumps the hay out of the feeder EVERY SINGLE DAY. I have this hay feeder: https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...Dadi7jjumyW8lfev9az5hmY2Fx8e3BuMaAvJpEALw_wcB

He used to just take the top off by burrowing his head in and then popping it up and having it fall on the ground, but now, every day, even when I don't fill it all the way, he somehow grabs it all out from the top and dumps it on the ground. Then he eats it off the ground. We keep the hay area on a concrete patio, poop cleaned many times daily, so it's not the worst. But I feel bad as I don't want to put a top on the hay feeder because both love eating from the top. Anyone else have annoying goats when it comes to hay?

·
14,760 Posts
yep they can be notorious! most of ours are made out of pallets and my husband made them so it's hard for them to waste it. I don't have pictures, but they work really well - whatever does get dropped is used for bedding.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I think the most annoying part of goats is feeders! Trying to have something that works just right and also cut down on waste is enough to drive a person mad! For that I would try and put it up as high as you can where basically all he can reach is the bottom of it. As he eats it should keep dropping down so he can reach more and more. Still I have yet to have a feeder that is 100% perfect. I have been planning on one last ditch effort of figuring out the perfect feeder and I’m going to make a fence line type feeder......one day since I have been wanting to for over a year now lol but basically it’s like a fence where they stick their head threw and the hay is right there. They can dig around and pick threw it all they want but shouldn’t be able to get it to where they can stomp it into the ground or poop on it. Not sure if it will work but when I get all the details figured out I’m hopefully going to make one and see how it goes.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I'm just only gonna fill the feeder which as much as they need to eat, they will be mad but that's life.
^ This actually works really well. I didn't have a feeder for a long time and the hay was fed on top of clean shavings in his shed. He would eat some then paw the rest around the shed like it wasn't good enough for him. I started feeding him less and less until eventually there stopped being leftovers scattered everywhere. One winter I just kept raking up the leftovers and piling it back up in his eating spot until it was gone. He was mad and there were a few days when he went on hunger strike, but since he wasn't breeding or milking and he was in good flesh I figured he could handle it. He never wasted hay after that winter. ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts