The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
HaileyBailey
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story short... hubby usually helps trim back hooves on the stand, but has been too busy and they need to get done. Two of my girls kick like donkeys and one dang near broke my hand this evening. So... I took away the grain, pulled her off of the stand and for the first time in my life I flipped a goat. I'm sooooo proud of myself... :cool: but I didn't get to her hooves. After she recovered from her shock that she was on the ground she was back to kicking and was getting up. I wasn't sure where I should sit on her. LOL Should she be on her back? Her side? Do I sit at her shoulders facing her rear? I just want to be sure I don't do anything to hurt her.

I still can't believe I actually flipped a goat! ROFL

·
Registered
54 Posts
My husband and I flip our goats lol but they get kinda crazy so my husband has to hold them I don't know how you would do it by yourself. Maybe lean over them and trim them that way. Our goats tend to give up the fight after a bit.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I didn't know you could even flip a goat! Wow, did that put some images in my mind! Hahaha!

We just clip our goats by the collar to the barn wall while they are standing at their feed on the milking stand, pick up their legs, bend at the knee and trim. I'll have to keep the flip in mind in case we ever get a spunky one.

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
I have a new doe that's a little wild and she kicks on the trimming stand. I have found that if I cross the leg I'm trimming behind her, it keeps her mind more on balancing than what I am doing

·
HaileyBailey
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've tried every technique there is to get them done on the stand, but it ain't going to happen. I can get through the fronts, but I can't even touch the back without wild donkey kicks. The husband is strong enough to sit backwards on the stand, grab a leg under his arm, hang on tight and trim... Me... there's no way. I almost lost my head.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
lol no cant say we do. Its pretty easy to do with a sheep trimming stand. You just need to know where to put your weight and leg in order for them not to be able to jerk to much. Just need to spend time training em, they will get better the more often you run them through something

Backs are pretty easy. Lift the goats rear end up and put your leg under neath between the stomach and the udder. With full sized goats this either will or nearly lift their hind end off the stand. Lift up a leg, and either bend it so the hoof is up or pull it out from the body with the hoof up. Trim, switch sides, done.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I don't see how any of you can trim while they are on a stand. I'm 5'2 110lbs and do it by myself and this is how I do it. For the back I'll have my butt face the goats butt then I pick the leg up and hold between my legs.....like you would a horse. The front I get down on one knee and have their knee rest on my other leg. If they are a brat I'll do the same to the front as I do the back and hold between my legs......works for me and I think its easy that way.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I don't see how any of you can trim while they are on a stand. I'm 5'2 110lbs and do it by myself and this is how I do it. For the back I'll have my butt face the goats butt then I pick the leg up and hold between my legs.....like you would a horse. The front I get down on one knee and have their knee rest on my other leg. If they are a brat I'll do the same to the front as I do the back and hold between my legs......works for me and I think its easy that way.
That's exactly what I do with the wild ones, works like a charm :)

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
One of my goats, I do on the stand because she's just easier that way. The rest, I sit down and flip them back so they're on their rumps, legs out in front, and their head completely laid back and under my arm. Works for the ones even with horns. It was a position my angora breeder friend taught me.

Though, it gives them free ability to chew at my shirt tails or if I have something in the back pocket of my jeans but they're really calm like that. It's easy with the smaller goats, we'll see if it continues to work with the Alpine doeling as she gets bigger.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
I'm 5 11.....it would kill my back to NOT do it on the stand :eek: But I do have to wrestle a bit with some... ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Can you use this for a goat?
This pic made me laugh out loud, literally!!!! That sheep looks like its in paradise! Getting a pedicure.... Teeheehee!!!! Very interesting though. We do a team flip, my husband and I. Once the goat is down, I hold down the neck area, sing, stroke, feed leaves... The goat is basically either hypnotized or asleep by the time hubby finished clipping all 4 hooves. It's so cool to see the wild and crazy ones melt in your hands!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
This is what I do also works well!

·
730 Posts
if you cover their eyes..they will calm right down and you can pretty much do whatever you want with them.. Give it a try! Youll be AMAZED!!

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
If you could tie them so you could pin them against a wall. Do you have a gate that would open that you could put the goat into with head at the tip of the V. So you would be pinning her in on both sides.

·
HaileyBailey
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if you cover their eyes..they will calm right down and you can pretty much do whatever you want with them.. Give it a try! Youll be AMAZED!!
Seriously? I have NEVER been told that. It certainly won't hurt to try!

·
HaileyBailey
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you could tie them so you could pin them against a wall. Do you have a gate that would open that you could put the goat into with head at the tip of the V. So you would be pinning her in on both sides.
I have had the two difficult ones tied and penned in every way I can come up with, but they literally will stand on their heads kicking if that's what it takes to get me away from their rear hooves.

I tried all the ideas given here today, except for covering the eyes, but ended up flipping the one again this morning and she can still fight me enough I can't get it done.

It's time to call 4H or FFA and find me a strappin' young man to come do this once a month or so.

On the flip side, pun intended, I was able to sit my 4 mo. old ND buckling up on my lap and he fell asleep while I did his hooves. I sat and held him for a little while longer after I was done. It was just so sweet. It would have been more enjoyable if he weren't peeing himself recently however. lol

1 - 20 of 43 Posts