Does anyone else give Bo-se shots?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by mistyblue, Sep 28, 2010.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    We are very selenium deficient here and I am going to start giving the Bo-se shots. I know the kids should have them the day they are born but I am not sure what the dosage should be. Regular dose is 1cc per 40 lbs but my little ones maybe weigh 3lbs right now.

So I was wondering if anyone else gave their little shots and would know what the correct dosage would be for kids this small.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Well you need to purchase the 1cc syringes (aka TB syringes) they have the cc's broken down into units and half units.

So the dosage being 1cc per 40lbs would mean 1unit per10lbs so a 3lb kid would get a little less then half a unit

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes I do...but only if ....the kid is weak or has crooked legs ....these are boers ...and I give a 1/4 cc.... so with the smaller breeds..... I am unsure what it would be....

4. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I do not have those syringes, will pick some up. I will be late giving them their shots, but I will be dehorning this weekend, giving CD&T as well as the Bo-se.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I purchased mine in bulk from jeffers. I love it because i can give banamine with them too

6. GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I like giving it a few weeks before birth that way it goes through to the babies. I do all the vit shots around 2-4 weeks before kidding time. We are selenium deficient around my area.

7. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I have never used it before, the way I was told to use it was to give to the bucks 1 month before breeding, give to does right before breeding and then approx 2 weeks before kidding and then give to kids when born.

GoldenSeal is this how you use as well? I do not want to overdose on it.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have heard of doing this too but that seems like a lot of of BoSe in a short period of time.

are you feeding a mineral with selenium in it?

I only give BoSe to kids if needed. Not every kid needs BoSe and you can kill them if you overdose it

9. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    True, but we are very deficient here, I know of a couple of breeder that do this and never had a problem. But they also raise the full size goats, not mini's. I wonder if that makes a difference or not.

10. GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I give it once a year only. I also give a selenium mineral block as well as the loose minerals 24/7. I actually like to keep the mineral bock out because it gives me an idea of when they need their shot. You'll notice them going crazy on the block when they need it. I do give more than once a year when I see them doing this.

I do not give it to the kids when they're born.

11. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Thanks, I do put loose minerals out and they hardly ever touch it but our mineral lick that we have out they use it pretty steady.

The babies are healthy, I think I will wait on giving them the Bo-se, I am just to worried about overdosing them.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if they dont show Selenium deficiency then dont worry about giving it. If they are weak in the back legs or hocky then a little dose would be good otherwise I wouldnt give it.

13. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    LOL - you know I have been so busy playing with them, that I have not even noticed if they are hocky or not.

14. Tarheel Acres

Tarheel Acres New Member

Aug 26, 2009

If you are in an area that does not get enough selenium, you should supplement. I would not wait. It is much easier to prevent problems, than it is to fix them. Dose your mini's at .25cc at a day old, and you will be fine. When selinium is given with vitamin E (Bo-Se does), it reduces the chances for overdosing. A baby would have to have around .75cc or more in order to overdose. Don't be afraid, its just like human meds. There are things that can kill us if you over do it. Just be responsible and you will be fine. I guarantee it.

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am not sure you can actually guarantee that someone wont hurt their goats with your methods. A guarantee means you will payback or replace what didnt work/broke and in this case died. I wouldnt be putting such blanket statements at the end of your advise unless you actually mean to follow through. :shades:

please be more careful with your wording is all I ask :thumbup:

16. Goober

Goober New Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Be careful with the insulin syringes and dosaging. Some are 40 units per mL(1/40 mL), some are 100 units per mL(1/100 mL). So, you could give less than half or more than double what you think you are giving.

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If a goat isn't deficient....(not showing any signs)..... they may be getting enough.. through their feed supplements....giving them that extra shot ..can throw them over the edge of over dosing it....creating worse problems..... I myself ...don't give it...in a shot ...only in loose salts and minerals.... if they show signs.... that is when a shot of bo se should be given.... along with vit E...... But each breeder..... can decide......... what method they want to use....... we can only give advice...... whether anyone takes it.......... it is up to them...... :wink: :thumb:

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I said to get the 1cc syringes (purchased from www.jefferslivestock.com) also known as TB syringes I didnt say a thing about insulin syringes. :whatgoat:

19. Goober

Goober New Member

Aug 21, 2009
    I said that because some people may not know exactly what they have. To someone who doesn't know better, "tuberculin" and "insulin" are pretty close. And, insulin syringes can be picked up in the nearest drug store. I have seen someone mix them up "They looked the same...".

Merely putting out information to help keep people from giving the wrong dosage.

20. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    How would you know if your area is selenium deficient?