The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking to specialize in one breed of goat, but I'm finding that very difficult... I love many kinds...

I'm thinking of going strictly oberhaslis, but I also like Nubians, their ears, colors, however they are loud. Mine is now behaving WHEW;) Then I have a Nubian Lamancha doeling too...

Am I the only one that have a couple different breeds? I'm just a backyard farmer/milker but would eventually like to switch to registered stock, I have a couple already, but just wanted to have better options for customers... I am thinking of breeding my reg Nubian to my registered ober buck and registering the offspring as experimental.

A part of me just wants to mix and match etc...which probably isn't a bad thing but would it get me anywhere?

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I have Lamancha does and a buck, Nubian does and a buck, an Oberhasli doe, an Alpine doe and have put a deposit on a Nigerian Dwarf buck.

In my original herd, I had Alpines, Saanens, Nubians, LaMancha and an Alpine/Togg mix.

My now ex sold them all. When I started back up, I started with Alpine and Oberhasli. Added Nigerians and Nubians, then Boers.

Sold the Nigerians (not because of them, but because of the breed of dogs I had, the Nigie kids were too tiny to trust the fences) and then the Boers.

Lost my entire herd to an arsonist.

Started back up with 2 Nubian does (I had sold them a few months earlier), a Nubian buckling and 3 Lamancha does.

The next year I added a Lamancha buckling and kept 2 NuMancha doelings.

Mixed herd????? You got it!

·
Registered
78 Posts
We have all purebred goats surprisingly enough considering we are a rescue... we have nubian, nigerian dwarf, pygmy and boer ... we love them all, even the ones that aren't interested in people .... fortunately no real mean ones have come in yet!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I like lots of different breeds, but decided on one to breed at first. I had unregistered before and it was hard as heck to get rid of the offspring, so that made me go registered. It is good easily get new homes for my non keepers. I knew I wanted bucks and a closed herd, and to not have to take does to be bred. Keeping enough bucks in different breeds to have diverse breeding potential was just too much For me to take on. As it is I have four bucks... Just because they are all different lines I don't know who to get rid of. I won't be keeping them all forever, but since I have 23 acres in in no hurry to get rid of any.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have Lamancha does and a buck, Nubian does and a buck, an Oberhasli doe, an Alpine doe and have put a deposit on a Nigerian Dwarf buck.

In my original herd, I had Alpines, Saanens, Nubians, LaMancha and an Alpine/Togg mix.

My now ex sold them all. When I started back up, I started with Alpine and Oberhasli. Added Nigerians and Nubians, then Boers.

Sold the Nigerians (not because of them, but because of the breed of dogs I had, the Nigie kids were too tiny to trust the fences) and then the Boers.

Lost my entire herd to an arsonist.

Started back up with 2 Nubian does (I had sold them a few months earlier), a Nubian buckling and 3 Lamancha does.

The next year I added a Lamancha buckling and kept 2 NuMancha doelings.

Mixed herd????? You got it!
Cool!! Maybe I'll continue with my herd and see where it takes me...;) I honestly think a healthy disease free goat is worth more than papers, but I'm sure the show ring doesn't reflect that...

·
Yes Dear Goat Farm
1,272 Posts
We started off with a mixed herd of sale barn goaties. We learned a lot (thank you TGS) and dealt with the steep "goaty learning curve". Once we decided we were hooked on these silly beasts we started figuring out what we wanted to end up with. We tried Kinders, but we now have registered Nubians, a registered mini-Nubie and a mini-Boer.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,472 Posts
I have Nigerians and LaManchas. I love them both, but breeding is a pain in the butt because we don't keep bucks - so we have to travel to different breeders for the different breeds.

·
Registered
240 Posts
We have two mini-Nubians and a mini-Toggenburg. We'd probably have more, but we're inside the urban growth boundary and can only have six total. We're hoping to get some nice kids next spring, so we can't just pick up a goat any time we feel like it. :(

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We have two mini-Nubians and a mini-Toggenburg. We'd probably have more, but we're inside the urban growth boundary and can only have six total. We're hoping to get some nice kids next spring, so we can't just pick up a goat any time we feel like it. :(
That might be a good thing...;) I started with 2 then 4, then 5 and oh I had 22 in September, now I'm down to 12, with a few more for sale...

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I had a mixed herd of LaManchas, Nubians, and Nigerians, love them all, but the Nubians didn't work too well for us, so we just have LaManchas and Nigies now, but I love having a variety :)

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Mine are all registered/recorded, however, most people don't care about the papers up here. I never have trouble selling the kids.

And no, no one did jail time or anything. The District attorney refused to prosecute

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I have mostly boers, but I have some boer kiko cross, some Nubians, Nubian boer cross. A now retired lamancha, a bunch of lamancha boer crosses and last year picked up 2 alpine bottle babies (kids talked me into it not my choice lol) since the majority of my here is boer and since that's really what I want to breed I only have registered boer buck. I have buyers wanting crosses, papered as well as commercial so it works. If your leaning to one breed then get a buck of that breed and a few does. Nothing says you have to totally replace your other breeds and as long as there isn't a size difference (like a pigmy do to a boer buck) then there's nothing wrong with crosses. For me there is no point in canning my mutts when I still have so many people buying from me who doesn't care about papers. In the end I end up selling a good amount of papered animals without the papers and end up reducing the price. If I had all high % (as well as high$) animals I would either be crying when I sell them for less or have a million goats lol

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Most of my adults are purebred. All the kids are crosses.

Adult does

Boer
Pygmy
Alpine
LaMancha
Oberhasli

Adult Bucks

Nigerian Dwarf
Kiko

Doelings

2 Saanen/Nubian/Alpines
2 Oberhasli/Kikos
1 LaMancha/Nigerian Dwarf
1 Boer/Alpine

Buckling
1 LaMancha/Nigerian Dwarf
1 Pygmy/Alpine

Wetherlings

2 Oberhasli/Nigerian Dwarves
1 Saanen/Nubian/Alpine
1 Boer/Alpine

I love the vigour and variety.

·
Live. Love. Ride. Milk.
511 Posts
Hey I'm going to put my voice out there. If your interested in showing or selling stock for profit then you likely will want to stick purebred especially if your a beginner. However multiple breeds is not bad at all. I have never owned only one breed of goat. I usually have at least 3 different breeds. Boar, LaMancha, Nubian, and Sannan originally and then I got older and my parents got smart and decided we needed to choose a breed we liked and focus on them. We then got Togg's and I fell in love right then. But as I focus more on showing and improving my breed of choice(Togg) I have brought in other breeds and sold the rest. Right now I only have mostly Togg's with AlpinexTogg's for better tasting milk and bloodline diversity and for other things that I don't get as much of with the present available Togg gene pool and recently I got my first Obe and I'm really liking that breed crossing it with Alpine.
Now I keep a Togg buck and Alpine buck on the property and that helps a lot when it comes to improving breeds, mixing things up some, and ease of breeding. So long as you can keep them in. Otherwise you might get unwanted crosses which is the hazard of keeping multiple breeds of bucks.
I could choose only one breed(Togg), but I don't think it's necessary.

·
RussellP
536 Posts
I have a plethora of breeds. Saanen and Kiko bucks, does are Spanish, Kiko, Alpine, Boer, and many dairy crosses. Variety is awesome and my babies keep getting stronger and stronger. I will attach a couple of pics that represent my eclectic herd.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts