The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Live. Love. Ride. Milk.
511 Posts
Those are gorgeous pictures!!! How did u get such good pica of your goats. Mine usually just climb all over me and never stay still.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I have a Nubian, a Lamancha, a mini Lamancha, a Nigerian buck, and a Nubian buck. I've always wanted an alpine but can't find any decent ones near me.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I started with an unregistered lamancha/Nubian and unregistered Nubian. Then I added a registered Nubian buck and doe. I decided to dabble in boers, so I added two registered boer does. I decided I liked boers better, so I sold all the dairy except one registered Nubian doe I bred. I did some crosses between my dairy and boer first, and then I decided they were too dairy for me. Now I have five full blood boer does, a full blood boer buck, my purebred Nubian doe, and I just added a registered Nubian buck temporarily because my neighbor was selling him. I really wanted to breed my Nubian to him this fall.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have mini silkies and boers. Plus the nigerian and 2 pygora's.
All the silkies and boers are registered. Here registration can mean the difference between a $75 goat and $300+(Depending on the quality of course :p )
Since the silky book is still open I've thought about adding some other breeds to get a better structure on them. I've got the hair, but I'm not always happy with the silkies lack of substance!
There's so many breeds out there that are so neat. I'm sure I'll end up with others in the future. Lol

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm just a beginner backyard milker, but I wouldn't want to just have 1 breed; more fun for me to have all different kinds.

I have:
-1 Alpine doe
-1 Nigerian/ Nubian cross doe
-2 Saanen/ Alpine cross doelings
-2 doelings that are 1/2 Nigerian, 1/4 feral doelings, 1/4 Nubian
-1 Apline/ Boer buckling, who I am trying to sell (I bought him with his in-milk mom, and have no need for him

Each is my favorite at different times :)

I'm not really concerned with trying to make money selling kids though. But I think around here, people buying a milk goat just want a good, productive milker who makes tasty milk and is nice and friendly. And I've heard that if you want to sell the males as pets here, then smaller is better (part of full Nigerian). Hardly any goats here have papers that I'm aware of.

I'd love to have a full Nubian someday, just for the lovely ears.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yay! I'm not the only one then..;) I'm just going to keep my mixed herd for now I love all of them... I have Nubians, oberhaslis, and ober/Saanen mix, Nubian/Lamancha and a Saanen buck, and an oberhasli buck... About a week and a half ago I almost was going to give up on my Nubians, but she has finally settled into the routine, and she is much less vocal, so I'm keeping her and her daughter...

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Janeen, we have a mix of breeds here too. We have the boer mixed with kiko and nubian (mostly....but since we started with several sale barn does, not really sure what the breeds are) and our Nigerians. I don't know if I could just pick one breed. LOL I also have a mix of horse breeds here too (Quarter Horse, Arabian, Mustang, Halflinger, Arab/Appaloosa) The biggest issue with purebred (in my mind anyway) is keeping your breeding separated. If you have more than one breed, you have to either keep bucks or know where you can find them. If there is such a small difference in price between grade and registered....I'd want to keep my variety.

·
Registered
399 Posts
For me I only have 1 breed.

If I had a lot of help and had a lot of goats I might have more than 1 breed.

Here's my take: The more of any one breed that you have, the more easily you can tell if your breeding program is working.

Now if you are just freshening goats then it doesn't really matter what breeds you have or who you even breed them to.

However if you only have 1 breed then you have more to work with.

Say I have a new buck. As we all know some bucks may produce average goats with a really nice one and really crappy one occasionally.

Some bucks may throw all crappy with a nice one and an average one thrown in.

If I have one breed then I might be able to keep 2 or 3 of his daughters or more and freshen them out and see how each turns out.

If I have like 3 breeds then I may only be able to keep 1 daughter, if that.

If that daughter turns out really nice then I may use the buck again and get all duds because I only had her to use to judge his worth.

So I think for a person like me with a small herd and I can only keep a few daughters one breed works best if my goal is to improve my stock.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
One of my goals is long lactations. I'm going to be milking all 4 through a season to see how they do in production... I actually may only end up doing it with 2 and drying the others up, haven't decided yet. I will breed the doelings in January if their weight and growth is good... One was born in April the other in May... So we'll see... Not sure how all this will pan out, but I'm just going to play it by ear...

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Pictures from RusselP

My heart is positively THUMPING, russelp! I'm so excited!:party:

·
Registered
399 Posts
One of my goals is long lactations. I'm going to be milking all 4 through a season to see how they do in production... I actually may only end up doing it with 2 and drying the others up, haven't decided yet. I will breed the doelings in January if their weight and growth is good... One was born in April the other in May... So we'll see... Not sure how all this will pan out, but I'm just going to play it by ear...
Mine too. I have one doe right now, a North Coast Jaison Collin daughter. She earned her star on a one day test last August with 9.8 lbs and 4.1% butterfat.

I milked her thru the winter and in April she milked:

DIM Milk Fat% Prot% Test Date
359 11.3 3.8 3.5 2015/04/30

Not bad for just shy of a year in milk.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts