The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay for some reason, every single time there is a goat on TV or in a movie, instead of my previous "aw cute goat," as a goat owner now -- I can't help but think copper deficient, selenium deficient, underweight and may need deworming, AND I BOTH LOVE AND HATE THIS!! I love that I can identify these things but hate that I can't help the urge to want to shove a copper bolus into them or some Replamin. (doh)

Can anyone else actually see a goat in a movie or on TV, or even online in a cute photo meme, and NOT have to judge the goat's health? :bonk:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I reckon it's something we do automatically … we breed something be it horses, cattle, sheep or goats etc and whenever, wherever, we see something, we look at it and think it needs this or that, could use more or less feed, is well-bred or badly-bred and so on. It's not a matter of snobbishness or whatever you want to call it, it's just something we do from having an interest in whatever the species concerned is.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I do this, we went to an animal sanctuary/zoo and they had some goats and all I could think was "their hay is on the ground, i only see salt blocks, fish tails and scruffy coats.."
I definitely didn't use to think that.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do this, we went to an animal sanctuary/zoo and they had some goats and all I could think was "their hay is on the ground, i only see salt blocks, fish tails and scruffy coats.."
Omg your exact quote is what I think, haha!!

·
14,725 Posts
Yep, you definitely take notice of things like this in probably anything you take a big interest in.
As for Hollywood, the one thing that always drove me crazy was movies about horses - mares in particular.... funny how they end up with testicles in some of those scenes lol. Even knowing it's a made up story with actors, etc. still... couldn't they have found animals of the right sex to play the part? Geesh. A big turn off...

I honestly watch very little tv these days, but definitely when I do I take notice.
For me the worst is getting on Craigslist or just the random goat groups on Facebook and seeing issues - especially overgrown feet on animals they want X amount of $$ for. We get behind on trimming but geez.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Oh gosh we went to Zoo Atlanta around Mother's Day and I had such a hard time when we got to the petting zoo portion. I don't know a lot about sheep but they had their goats and sheep together. All of the goats were copper deficient (understandably... assuming they didn't bolus). I'm guessing all the mineral blocks they had out were safe for sheep. They looked soooo rough. I really had to resist lifting up hooves to see if they all needed trimmed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts