Does anyone else like to crochet or quilt?

Discussion in 'Crafty Cabin' started by Suellen, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    Besides playing with the goats I also crochet and quilt. I do other crafts too but crocheting and quilting are my favorites. Besides the goat forum I belong to a crochet forum and quilting forum

Suellen

2. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    My mom crochet's and quilts. I seem to have two right hands when it comes to doing most anything crafty. She's teaching one of my neice's how to crochet right now.

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    My mom also quilts, sews, all that good stuff. I've tried but am not patient enough. If I mess up, I don't want to take out the stitches, I just want to give up. :roll:

My mom makes beautiful quilts though! I have three from her and each of my siblings also have a quilt. She is making my sister a dress now. When we go to the county fair, she always wins "Best in Shows."

Oh, do you know of Windham Fabrics?? They had a new line of fabric come out, the paperdoll fabric. That line of fabric was from my family. It was my great-aunt's collection of old paperdolls. My mom copied them and somehow someone at Windham Fabrics saw them and started up a line. It's called "The Rock House" as that was the house where my great-grandparents lived in Iowa. Anywho, in case you know of those fabrics, there's a little story behind them. :)

4. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    I HAVE SEEN THAT FABRIC! Thank you for the backgound infomation that is really cool to know. Where in Iowa. I lived in Montezuma Iowa, Central IA near Grinnell.

Suellen

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, sweet! I have to tell my mom, she'll be thrilled! :) She's so excited about it! I guess the fabric was featured in a magazine, now I can't remember the name. . . . I'll ask her. Anyways, she was so excited about that.

Oh, gosh. I want to say Davenport, Iowa. I'm probably way off, but I'll go ask. :)

6. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
  7. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I can do both! I actually do a quilt for our Church picnic every year and more! Most people would say it is granny like but I don't think it is.

8. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I crochet and quilt also! Right now I am crotching a baby afghan for my (hopefully...) future baby.

I did a quilt/wall hanging for my Hubby when we were dating. I had pics of his family transfered over on some white fabric and made it into a patchwork quilt. We did it all by hand. My Nannie (would be called Grandmother to most people :greengrin: ) just got one of the sewing machines that does the quilting for you, but I haven't had the time to give it a try yet. She did make me a BEAUTIFUL quilt for Christmas with it though. After Christmas, I will get pics of the one I did and the one my Nannie made me. I also have alot of old quilts (wedding ring patterns and such) that my Grandparents and Great-Grandparents made. I will try to get some pics of them and of the baby afghan I am working on. :thumb:

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Cool! I've never actually looked at the website or read what my mom said about it. :)

My mom is selling quilt kits that are all cut out of the paperdoll fabric. She's selling them at the shop and can also ship them - if anyone's interested. They are really neat! She does all the work in cutting the fabric and supplying the pattern, all you do is sew away. :)

10. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    I crochet and quilt. I've only made three quilts in my life cuz I really don't have the space to make them. I sew on my kitchen table and have to lay the quilt pieces out on my bed, so everything has to be picked up for meals and before I can go to bed at night, which makes it so tedious that I just don't do it as much as I'd like to. If I can ever get my kids' room converted to a sewing room (now that my kids are all out of the house except for visits) I'll be able to do a lot more. I've saved fabric scraps from all the clothes that I made for my children over the years with the plan for making quilts for each of them. I might be able to get them sewn before I start having grandchildren if I get moving on it soon enough!

The quilts that I have made include one where I had all my grandmother's children and grandchildren each decorate a square and then I put it all together for her 75th birthday. The second was a basic one for one of my ex-BILs when he first moved out into his own apt. And the third was one in my kids' school colors and embroidered with the outline of their school mascot (a colt) to be auctioned as a fundraiser for their class trip to Europe.

I want to make a quilt for my bed that has pheasants on it. I've got a picture in my head of what I want it to look like, but that will definitely have to wait for the sewing room to be complete.

I passed my love of crocheting to my daughter. She likes to crochet Christmas and birthday presents for her friends and family. Some of my fondest memories of my paternal grandmother are the times I spent sitting with her as she taught me how to crochet.

11. QualityCaprine

QualityCaprine New Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Nebraska
    ha ha That is so funny! My husband and his father both crochet. My husband was the football and wrestling captain, so "the older ladies" get a kick out of realizing my husband crochets. My father-in-law is really good. He wins huge competions. It is funny to see a 6'2 burly man do competions with little old ladies.

12. farmgirl

farmgirl Guest

Jan 5, 2009
    I knit and would love to learn how to quilt, but have not had the time yet. My mom crochets and tried to teach me, but ... it was a long time ago. Amazingly she managed to tech my sister even though she crocheted of a square that my sister had just knitted! :scratch: I would like to lear to crochet as well as knit, but I think that that will wait until I finnish my afgan. So far the only rocheting I know is finger crocheting, an old babysitter taught me years ago. :oops:

13. DopeyOpie

DopeyOpie New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Canada
    I can crochet, but haven't really made anything of significance yet LOL. I also knit, and have made a few things... I'm in the middle of an afghan right now but it's going slow. I don't always have time for it!

14. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
  15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I crochet when I have the time...lol, I've done afghans in the only stitch I know....double crochet, lol

Hats are another that I've done........It's bad enough I sit in front of the puter and even thn I'm up and down, can't sit still :coffee2:

16. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    uhm I tried to knit a scarf then i couldnt be bothered to finish it.
    and mum failed at trying to teach me crochet lmao!

17. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    I have made several quilts and wall hangings. I have also made a number of afghans and small stuff. I have a tendency to do the fun parts and then procrastinate on the putting it together. I have the strips for a king size afghan done and I have only connected a few of the strips. The strips have been done for over 5 years. LOL This year I am planning on making a doily to enter in the county fair. I've been looking at patterns and I think I have found one I like. With doilies I like the crocheting part but not the blocking (flattened, stretched, pinned into the correct shape, let dry, unpin and it holds that shape) part so I have a number of doilies that are done but have not been blocked. Of course none of those I want to enter in the fair. LOL

Suellen
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    I am starting to quilt and I also knit. Has anyone ever found some nice goat or farm patterns for quilts? :ponder: I have been looking for years but havent found any good ones yet

19. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I crochet like crazy. I make afghans, scarves and I have a ton of hats for all of us to wear. My kids seriously wear a different hat every day when it's cold. I just started teaching my 6yr old daughter.

20. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I don't know about patterns but my mom has an embroidery machine that I am learning to use and I'm going to try and find some templates for farm/goats. It'd be neat to make an iron-on embroidered goat for t-shirts (to wear at shows and such).

My mom is a designer for Blue Hill Fabrics, I should see if something can be done about a line of farm/goat-related things. :D