Does Anyone Else Like to Read????

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by HollowbeadRanch, Dec 1, 2008.

1. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I was wandering if anyone else likes to read alot. Of course... whenever I decide to take on a new project or breed of animal I do as much reading and research on the matter that I can. I like being prepared :greengrin: But I also LOVE reading Romance novels and historical romances. Especially ones about Vikings :wink: Does anyone else like to read for fun?

2. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I enjoy Laurraine Snellings Ruby, and also the book called Ruby in the Smoke, and then the Twilight saga (the first three anyway). :)

3. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I LOVE to read. Thomas Jefferson said 'I cannot live without books' Its kinda like that. My room is full of bookcases and piles of books.

I like to read romance, poetry, adventure, mystery (Agatha Christie, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle mainly), books about the Holocaust, herbal remedies, autobiographies, and books on Native American culture. I used to really be into fantasy years ago, but every so often I'll read them, like the Twilight saga.

A recent book I read was Three Bags Full, which is a commical mystery, about a herd of sheep who become detectives to find the murderer of their shepard.

My mom and I could spend days in a bookstore, either the manager kicks us out at closing time or my dad forces us to leave, but either way we usually leave with atleast a good $100 worth of books.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I sure wish I liked to read. I HATE to read unless I finally get a book that will catch my attention. That is really hard. But also I have no time at all to read.

Those of you that read, I pat you on the back. That is wonderful. I use to read all the Flowers in the attic series.

5. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I looooove to read!

I have several bookshelves STUFFED full of books. It's hard to pinpoint what I like, as I love a whole range of stuff. A lot of fantasy, mythology, action adventure, animal literature, non-fiction . . . I could go on and on.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    LOVE LOVE to read!

I am more into historical fiction and christian romance but I am looking to expand my reading material but I am not sure about authors and what I will enjoy.

I am on a book swap thing http://www.paperbackswap.com (I think it is)

let me know if you are interested in knowing more about it

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Usually if I'm forced to read if for school(and have to write a long report on it) then I don't like the book. Otherwise I love to read for fun.

I like Russian novels the best, right now I'm reading Anna Karenina in addition to all these books I'm reading about healthcare :roll:

8. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I love to read..like a book a day! My favorite author is Lurlene McDaniel.

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I LOVE reading too!! Do not have a whole lot of time for it anymore though.
    When I started homeschooling in third grade, my scores were 56 - all I did was read, read, and read more the first year of homeschooling and my scores went up 30+ points! Yeah, reading is good. :D I like reading about history. The "Dear America" and Royal Diary" series are some of my favorites, have read just about all of them several times. :)

10. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I figured there would be plenty others on here that like to read :thumb: My sister has read and LOVES the Twilight series but I haven't gotten to them yet. Right now I am trying to get caught up on the Dark Series by Christine Feehan (there are 18 books so far in the series and she comes out with a new one each year). I also like Amanda Ashley, Johanna Lindsey, Maggie Shayne, Nora Roberts (the Donovan Legacy was a GREAT series if you like romances), among many MANY others!

I really enjoyed a FEW books that they made me read when I was in high school and college (but VERY few). My absolute favs were The Crystal Cave and The Great Gatsby. I also like The Scarlet Letter and The Good Earth. All very good books :wink:

I might would be interested. I am fixing to go look at the website right now :thumb: What type of books are usually swapped?

Normally I swap books with my Mom, Sister, and Aunt and I also swap different series with my Mother-In-Law. We all got lucky enough to read the same type books. My Mother-In-Law also like reading Stephen King and John Grisham books, but I haven't tried any of them yet. I guess I usually go through about 3-4 books a week when I actually get the time to sit down and read.

11. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I also love reading! Unless of course like goathappy I have to for school. :roll: My favorite authors include Nora Roberts, Christine Feehan, Laurell K. Hamilton, and Sherilyn Kenyon, and there's more but don't want to name them all. (I read A TON) My mom has her own personal library. :wink:

12. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Oh I LOVE reading!
    I love books about mythology creatures.. EG Eragon and sequels.. I am re-reading eragon at the moment, then eldest because i am waiting for my auntie to read the third book. Paolini's work is amazing :D

I also like some of the teenagers fiction.. By aussie writers like Paul Jennings, they are a crack up.

And murder mysterys, but i dont get to read them much...
    It really depends on the book itself instea of catergories most of the time.. Just some things grab my attention and keep it there.

Books :thumb:

13. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Have you read all of Christine Feehan's Dark Series? I just started on it a couple of weeks ago. I think I am on book 7 or 8 (Dark Guardian about Lucian). I have really been enjoying this particular series. If you like Christine Feehan and Nora Roberts then I bet you would like Johanna Lindsey (Historical Romance) and Amanda Ashley (Paranormal Historical Romance). Rhonda Thompson is a pretty good Author as well.

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Yep.

My bookcases range far and wide. In them you can find a spectrum from the classics, Jane Austen and co, the Russian greats, Shakespeare; Australian classics like Cloudstreet I can read over and over again; other Australian titles like the Tomorrow series by John Marsden; fantasy genre including work from Isobelle Carmody, of course the complete set of HP books - I am very proud to say I own first edition HC of all but the first two books; action dominated by Matthew Reilly; then there is my animal/agriculture section which is full of textbooks, on everything from basic biology and chemistry, through to reproduction (a LOT of those), nutrition etc, lots of general goat books and the one that takes pride of place is Hungerford's Diseases of Livestock.
    I have a collection of childrens classics, including a first edition Snugglepot and Cuddlepie (very proud of it, worth a LOT of money but also sentimental reasons, has been passed down through our family and will be passed to my children eventually), the entire Beatrix Potter collection, a lot of Enid Blyton books because I spent a lot of time reading them, Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, Little Women etc. And then I have a little section of my own work - I did a significant portion of my HSC in English, and composed a LOT of original fiction in those two years. I still write though it is harder to find the time now, not so hard to find the passion though. That never leaves you.

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    there are millions of books on there.

What you do is put up 10 books you are willing to swap (must be willing to never see them again) and then when you do that you get two credits to request books from others.

It is all free you just pay shipping to the person who requests your book. You have like 2 days to ship the book once you say you can send the book.

If you say I (stacey roop) referred you I get extra credits :)

It takes one credit per request.

you mail the books media mail and it is like 2.49 for shipping.

when someone requests your book and then receives it you get one credit per book.

So once you get a book you can keep it for forever or post it on your "book shelf" and make it available to others if they want it.

16. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I really enjoy reading--I grew up without TV so it seems like the natural thing to do when I want to sit back and relax.

I mainly read non-fiction...just about anything to do with animals, nutrition, homesteading, history, social commentary, and the environment. If I had to pick one...my favorite fiction author is John Steinbeck.

17. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Yes I have and I loved it! Great series. I've read some Johanna Lindsey, good writer too. We have some Amanda Ashley, I just haven't gotten to 'em yet. I don't think I've read anything by Rhonda Thompson yet.

I prefer reading over TV anyday! :thumbup:

18. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    The book swap things sounds neat! I will have to go in here and look to see if I have 10 books I could bare to part with... I am REALLY bad about not wanting to give up the books I have read and liked. I like going back and reading them from time to time. As a matter of fact... anyone that likes a good mystery/romance book this used to be one of my FAVS when I was a teenager:
    http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Secrets-Ri ... 359&sr=1-5
    "Summer of Secrets" by Richie Tankersley Cusick
    I have read it over a dozen times (although I haven't read it in a couple of years...).
    And also one of my old Fantasy favs was this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Into-Land-Unicorn ... 483&sr=1-1
    "Into the Land of the Unicorns" by Bruce Coville

Both very good books thank I read SEVERAL times when I was in high school :wink:

19. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Some of my favourite short books are

Keeping Barney
    http://www.amazon.com/Keeping-Barne...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228190803&sr=1-1
    It's about a girl who board a horse in her barn while its owner goes to college, and learns the reality of horse ownership and the difference between barney and plain school horses.
    There is a goat in it too :thumb:

And Summer Pony
    http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Pony/dp/B000FYY2R8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228190846&sr=1-2
    A girl get's to rent a pony for the summer as a present and grows a strong bond with the pony, then ends up getting the pony forever :)

If You Had A Horse - Steeds of Myths and Legends
    http://www.amazon.com/If-You-Had-Ho...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228190925&sr=1-2
    A nice collection of mythical stories about horses... Some good reads in it

A Horse For X.Y.Z
    http://www.amazon.com/Horse-X-Y-Z/dp/B000HT5C8Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228191459&sr=1-1
    a girl jumps off the camp bus on the way home and goes for one last ride on a horse called Snake Dancer. The horse runs away with her and she realises she is n the middle of a big scheme to steal the horse, and is chased by men with guns. Eventually she is rescued and the men are arrested and Snake Dancer is returned to his owner.

Small books but are good for children.. You might want to get some for your kids for christmas, anyone here.
    I loved these stories so much and I read them over and over :)

20. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

When i was younger anything having to do with horsesw. In grade school I loved the thoughroghbred series and the saddle club series by bonnie ryant. Now im nore into murder mysteries true crime stores. Cop/love stories. I dont watch much tv but the tv i do watch generally revolves around the same thing I love bones, i read the temperance brennen novels as well. I love the forensic files, anything like that.
    beth