Does Anyone Else Like to Read????

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by HollowbeadRanch, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Keren, I must say, that is so cool,

2. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    When I was in school, I loved reading "The Boxcar Children" series and "The Babysitters Club" series. I also liked reading "Where the Red Fern Grows" and " To Kill A Mockingbird". Now, I am into reading Agatha Christie Mystery novels and stories about the Amish and Mennonites(Although most of them are about the Amish).

3. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    I love to read, started the summer between 7th and 8th grade. I literally did nothing but lay in bed and read all summer, I lost 30lbs, hehe (I needed to loose it too). I love Nora Roberts, L. Hamilton, Jayne Feather, Johanna Lindsey and now one of my favorite series is the Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward, it is actually a vampire romance series, very addicting to the point my books are falling apart. I drive my DH up the wall as I read my books and if I like them (which I do most) I keep them, I have probably between 3000-5000 out in the barn boxed up and that doesn't include what's strewn around my bedroom the rest of the house and what's up in the attic. But, alas, now days the only time I get a few minutes to read is at bedtime :cry:

4. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    My Mother-In-Law reads J.R. Ward and she has been telling me that I need to read them. I just haven't got to them yet.

And I know what you mean about only a few minutes at bedtime. I am pretty much the same way... although right now while we are waiting for Spring to rebuild a herd I have a little more time than I used to. So I have really been enjoying using that extra time to catch up on some books I have been dieing to read :wink: And I am the same way about keeping books... my Mother is as well. As a matter of fact they just went and bought a storage building and I think quite a few of the totes they put in it are full of books! I have started packing mine up in boxes so they will be easier to move this next Spring when we get a new place. Needless to say... I have still got A LONG way to go!

5. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Does anyone have a list of the specific books they have or REALLY enjoy to share with everyone? I don't know about everyone else, but I am always looking for a GREAT new author/book to read!

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I really like Philippa Greggory (sp?) - She wrote the book that was turned into a movie recently, "The Other Boleyn Girl." I love her books but I like historical - I guess they are romances too.

7. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    I am usually so tired by the time I hit the pillows that I can't stay awake to read, so I read in the bathroom and when I eat breakfast and lunch. I have to watch it in the bathroom though cuz I'll get caught up in the story and forget that I need to get back to work.

My whole family are readers. If it has print on it I'll read it. We have bookcases in every room of the house (yes, even the kitchen has a bookcase full of cookbooks) and magazines and books strewn everywhere. If I like something I don't want to get rid of it, either. And I'll go back and read my favorites over and over again. When my kids were younger we used to take away their reading materials as punishment. That was the worst thing we could do to them! They recommend books to me and my husband and I recommend books to them. My boys are both really deeply into the Twilight books, while my daughter doesn't have any interest in them. She's more of an LOR fan and is writing her own set of modern fantasy books. My oldest son is also writing a series of books. I get to be their editor and I push them along cuz I can't wait to get the next chapter.

In the past few years I have been going through our local library alphabetically, reading whatever catches my fancy and keeping a reading journal in which I give a brief description of the plot of each book and then give a small review of what I thought of it. I've discovered some new to me authors that I really enjoy, but a lot of times I've taken books back without getting past the first couple of chapters. There sure is a lot of dreck out there!!! Thank goodness there are also some good ones, too.

There's no way I could pick one favorite book, or even a single author. My favorite authors include:

KM Peyton
    Elswyth Thane
    Judith McNaught
    Katherine Stone
    Jack Higgins
    Patrick McManus

8. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    For those of you who like historical fiction, my favorite author is Thomas B. Costain. He was very good on the Historical part. And he's just a great writer...he died a few years ago...you can probably find his books in your library. Does anyone go to the library anymore? I used to go weekly...now I have goats...

9. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm Guest

Sep 18, 2008
    I go like once a month. . . .We used to go every week to. Most of the popular current teen fiction drives me up the wall; I hate it!!!!!!!!! I like the older books and historical novels. . . .I like amish novels as well. . .Beverly Lewis's Summerhill Secrets (?) I think that's what they are called, but those are really good! Also the Barney Buck series is hilarious. . . :)

10. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    That is VERY neat! MANY years ago I had started writing a book as well... but then college, work, and a Husband happened.. LOL so it never really got finished.

That is a VERY neat idea! I should really start keeping a log as well of what books I read and what they are about. Alot of times I will start thinking of a book I have read before but can't remember the title or author, so then the search begins! It would be MUCH easier if I kept a record of them!

11. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    I like Stephen King,and Fern Michaels. I liked the Twilight series also :) My faveorite book is The Guardian though

12. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I can't get into reading the Stephen King Novels, although I have watched some of the movies. My oldest sister used to read quite a bit of the Stephen King novels. I think that is all she really ever read. She got me a couple of books that I need to try and read this coming year-but I find that if they are 400+pages I tend to lose my interest in the book-except for the Harry Potter series which I read pretty quickly.

13. deenak

deenak Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    I love the Stephanie Plum series but Janet Evanovich. They are sooooo funny I just start laughing when ever I am reading these. My kids think I am nuts.

14. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I love Philip Roth books, they have such attention to accuracy and the characters are great- his Zuckerman books are my very favorites. They really make you think. And Larry McMurtry is also great, I love his westerns.

Oh, and PiccoloGoats, I think I read Keeping Barney at one point too..it was a fun little book :)

15. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    This is great!! Keep those books coming!!! :cool: I am going to have to sit down and make a list of all of these books, and then when I run out of books of my own to read I will just start going down the list :thumb:

16. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Crime and Punishment is a great book, its my favorite book so far.

Any Lord of the Rings fans here? :)

17. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    The Homecoming series by Cynthia Voigt, I think there are 7 books in the series.. I've only read five, can't find the others.

Ok I found the list, theres Homecoming, Dicey's Song, A Solitary Blue, The Runner, Come a Stranger, Sons from Afar, and Seventeen Against the Dealer. I read them in like fifth - sixth grade, but they're still one of my favorite sets of series. They're not kids books either though, each is about 500 pages. They're about four kids whos mentally ill mother abadons them, so they walk across like several states to their cousins, but find out she died, then finally find their grandmother, and live with her, and eventually when they're older they try to find their dad who abadoned them years ago, quite confusing really.

Some other books I really enjoyed were Life of Pi, Or Give Me Death, and I'm reading the book Exodus now, which is good so far.

18. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    :scratch: I'm confuzzled.

19. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I think she was talking about writing books... but I could be wrong :shrug:

20. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I'm a he, but yes about writing books and your first editions.