The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
just a warning, I'm glad I read this, apparently giving COWP more often than once per 3 months can lead to a buildup in the liver which could be released all at once and kill the goat. anyone know if this is true? I've given COWP once per month for 3 months in a row now to my 4 most deficient looking goats

Yes, it is true.

·
Registered
542 Posts
What is the dose you are giving them? Is it the 1 gram per 22 pounds or is it what the bottle says? If the 1/22 are you absolutely sure on their weights? I’m wondering if you are going off the bottle which is pretty low on the dosing. I was doing that when I first started this copper deal and was giving them too low of a dose.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
How many grams are you giving per dose?

I would be trying to remove antagonists from the diet (possibly in your water), and get a good loose mineral with at least 1500ppm copper.

I'd also add KopSel from fir meadow - lifesaver!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Other than signs of copper deficiency, red brassy color, fish tail, coarse coats...of there any health issues you are dealing with? At what dose was copper given? Proper dose is 1 gram per 22 pounds. It might be that they are under dosed. At any rate, I would not give more. I would look for reasons behind the deficiency. For ex. My well water is high in sulphur. Sulphur is an antagonist to copper, so our battle is having to copper every 3 months. When we brought in water from a different source we only bolused 2 times a year.
Iron, calcium, Sulphur..any of these in high amounts can interfere with absorbing copper.
Do an deep evaluation of all food, mineral and water source. No more copper for now. Let's figure out the why first.
the 4 that were most deficient looking I gave 1 gram per 20 pounds body weight. the ones that looked ok, I gave half that amount each month.

Other symptoms: two does did not conceive this breeding season, and they are the ones that had the least noticeable heat cycles, I could barely notice if they were in heat or not, and I know my goats really well and most of the does are very obvious when they are in heat. . they were bred in November, December, and March by two different bucks.

Reactions: happybleats

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
oh, and in addition to what I said in the previous post about does not conceiving, this past week I had two of them get runny stools for several days, and that was about a week after I had given them their 3rd dose at one month intervals. could the runny stools be a symptom of copper toxicity?

·
Registered
30,562 Posts
Dose is 1 gram per 22 pounds, so you didn't give too too much to the ones at 1 gram for 20 pounds. Selenium can also cause reproduction issues. The Half dose may have them become deficient sooner.

Selenium deficiency can also cause fertility issues. Do they get BoSe annually?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Dose is 1 gram per 22 pounds, so you didn't give too too much to the ones at 1 gram for 20 pounds. Selenium can also cause reproduction issues. The Half dose may have them become deficient sooner.

Selenium deficiency can also cause fertility issues. Do they get BoSe annually?
I think I will start using the Kop Sel from fir meadow again and stop copper bolusing. It's more expensive but I think it's the best source of copper and selenium if given daily.

Reactions: happybleats

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
I think I will start using the Kop Sel from fir meadow again and stop copper bolusing. It's more expensive but I think it's the best source of copper and selenium if given daily.
I've been able to avoid copper bolusing for months--like 6-12 months, by using KopSel.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I've been able to avoid copper bolusing for months--like 6-12 months, by using KopSel.
how often do you give Kop-Sel? what dose of KopSel and how much do your goats weigh?

by the way, when I said 1 gram per 20 pounds, I have not weighed my goats, but they are Nigerian dwarfs and guess that my adult does are around 60 to 70 pounds and I was giving them 4 grams, so it was likely a bit more than 1 gram per 20 pounds, unless I underestimated their weight.

·
Super Moderator
83,097 Posts
Yeah be careful, signs may still show for a while after, until they clear.

I wait until 4 months.
It takes about that long for the hair to begin to grow back on a fishtail.
You have to look at the tail tip to really see it.

Overdosing is bad.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yeah be careful, signs may still show for a while after, until they clear.

I wait until 4 months.
It takes about that long for the hair to begin to grow back on a fishtail.
You have to look at the tail tip to really see it.

Overdosing is bad.

yeah, there was only one out of my 12 goats that actually had a bald tail tip and it took more than 2 months before hair started showing up on the bald tip. Now it's growing quickly. A second one was a severe fish tail, but not anywhere near going bald. The changes in all of them have been obvious since March when I started once a month COWP. If I had taken photos in March it would be obvious to see what I'm talking about, but now, it will be hard to tell any are copper deficient other than 2 of my 12 goats that had really bad fish tails, you can still see a bit of a fish tail in those two. 2 or 3 others had mild fish tails in February and March when they were at their worst. There were 5 of them that had balding on the bridges of their noses, and that has all grown back completely, their nose bridges are completely covered in hair. A couple of them were sort of bald around the eyes and that has all grown in. Some of the ends of the hair on their coats are a bit rough but you can see they are mostly covered in sleek silky hair that is growing in underneath. Some of them have gotten noticeably darker in color too.

Reactions: toth boer goats
21 - 32 of 32 Posts