The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have one goat right now. I read these postings and people talk about there goats like they have 15! and for me that's a lot of goats, well unless you plan on having a heard of meat goats and don't use them for milking. So am I the only one right now?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I know. That's why I've been looking for her a friend for awhile, and another goat that we could benefit off of.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I only have one goat right now. I read these postings and people talk about there goats like they have 15! and for me that's a lot of goats, well unless you plan on having a heard of meat goats and don't use them for milking. So am I the only one right now?
We only have one goat. I don't know how most of the folks who have more than one do it .

·
8,067 Posts
I had one goat one time, then I bought 2 more and one kidded! They was many years ago. Now I have 157, wait, I sold 3, 154 I'm pretty sure. 65-70 are bred for sure, 20 others are a maybe. I'll be a milking fool or is it a fool milking? :eek:mg: (I ship milk, I'm not some whacko goat hoarder, for anyone who doesn't know me).

The above is known as "Goat Math"!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Personally I have two....with a deposit on a third....oh and one of the ones I have is pregnant and should deliver in the next few weeks.

...goat math :imok:

In reality having more than one goat is really important as there can be negative effects of only having one as they are herd animals. I do agree with trying to get something beneficial to your family tho! I can take time but you'll find a good buddy that meets yours and your goats needs

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have 5-ish keepers. I have more after kidding, then I sell back down to my keepers. I'm in goats for the milk side.

I had a single goat for 2 weeks once because her companion died in an accident. It was miserable for her and for me. She cried a lot. Single goats tend to be pests, too, and much more likely to be escape artists. I'm glad you are looking for a companion.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,481 Posts
We have 10...plus 3 new kids and more expected any day now. (3 of those are bucks) I prefer to stay under 20. Maybe closer to 15, we'll see. But I prefer to be able to "know" each one and all their little idiosyncrasies so I can tell if something is off. I also enjoy sitting with them and I can't give attention to a huge herd.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I think it really depends on what your goals are with your goats for how many you need. If you're looking for a constant supply of milk for your family you'll need to consider how many are in the family and how much you can milk. Then to keep them in milk you need to breed so you'll also want to look into how to handle that when the time comes.

If you don't NEED another milking goat you could always get a whether, they're usually cheaper and do not require feeding aside from hay in the winter depending on where you live. This way its purpose could just be a companion and organic brush remover HAHA

·
Registered
485 Posts
That's how I initially brought up the idea of goats with my husband. I called them organic automatic environmentally friendly all terrain lawn mowers, I told them they were the new big thing to property management...like a roomba only better (rofl)

Maybe this is why my husband doesn't trust me anymore when I say I found something really cool we need that I know he will like LOL

·
8,067 Posts
All my goats have names, are petted daily and I have NO Life outside of the barn. But that's ok, I chose this path and I guess DH is ok with it. But, I have to admit, life was way more uncomplicated with a few goats. I have learned a lot about goats in my life! And the more I learn about goats, the less I seem to know about them!
:ponder::what:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All my goats have names, are petted daily and I have NO Life outside of the barn. But that's ok, I chose this path and I guess DH is ok with it. But, I have to admit, life was way more uncomplicated with a few goats. I have learned a lot about goats in my life! And the more I learn about goats, the less I seem to know about them!
:ponder::what:
LOL! No life outside the barn! For a lot of people that's would be torture, I can totally see me doing that!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think it really depends on what your goals are with your goats for how many you need. If you're looking for a constant supply of milk for your family you'll need to consider how many are in the family and how much you can milk. Then to keep them in milk you need to breed so you'll also want to look into how to handle that when the time comes.

If you don't NEED another milking goat you could always get a whether, they're usually cheaper and do not require feeding aside from hay in the winter depending on where you live. This way its purpose could just be a companion and organic brush remover HAHA
We hadn't really planned on getting goats. Although I absolutely love goats and I have always wanted them. We haven't got a large plot, just 3/4 acre. Our first goat came along by chance, she was a rescue goat, some old fella wasn't looking after her properly and my husband and his friend decided that they would try and make her life better. My husband brought her home in the back of his van, I think she is about 4 or 5 years old, very friendly but quite bossy. I worried about her being on her own so I went and got a pygmy goat for company, she was very bossy and mean to the pygmy, I felt so sorry for the little goat I went back to the farm and bought her sister, so I now have 3 goats. I'm learning every day, I love them all to bits and I just love being with them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts