Does anyone have a recipe for brie cheese?

Discussion in 'Cookin' Corner' started by Dreamchaser, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    *points to subject line* Does anyone have a good recipe to make this cheese? I haven't found a recipe in any cheese making books. Is it hard to make?

Thanks in advance! *craves brie and strawberries*

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I posted one in one of your other threads.... I'll go look fo it agian

3. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
  4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have the cookbook "Goats Produce Too" and it is my only cheese book! Has a ton of other recipes as well.

I've not made Brie but here is the recipe.*****I do use buttermilk as a sub for the mesophillic culture****

1 gallon whole goatmilk
    1/4 cup mesophilic culture or butermilk
    1/4 tsp liquid rennet
    1/3 cup cool water
    penicillium candidum (white mold powder) mix powder at rate of 1 tsp per 8 oz cool water and put in a spray bottle.
    molds( 4 1/2" tall by 6-8 " in diameter with drain holes

Warm milk to 85*F. Add the buttermilk and mix well. Mix rennet with the cool water and stir into the milk for 1 minute. Let stand 3 hours til firmly set.
    Set clean molds onto cheese mats( the plastic needle work canvas works well for this) Scoop curds into molds filling to the top. Elevate the mats 1-2" to allow for drainage.
    Let curds drain for 2 hours. Flip molds over onto cheese mats but DO NOT remove the molds from th cheese. Flip back and forth every 4 hours for 12 hours, place the mats with the molds on a cake cooling rack over a cake pan to allow for drainage.
    After the flipping is completed place entire cake pan with the cheeses on it into the refridgerator for 24 hours.
    Turn the cheese out of the molds onto clean cheese mats and salt all surfaces of the cheeses with non iodized salt...canning salt is good to use. Spray all surfaces with the penicillium mixture lightly. Place in a humid area, a spare fridge set at 55*F would work well as an "aging celler".
    After one week, wrap cheese lightly with plastic wrap to hold in moisture. The cheese will develope a thick white "bloom" in 2 weeks time. Age it for another 3-4 weeks before eating....can be frozen after it has aged.

5. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Oh thank you both! I posted the question here as well, just because I wasn't sure anyone would read it since it was just an afterthought in my other post.

*hugs*