Does anyone here have a single goat with horses?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Trace, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    As above......

:whatgoat:

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    My sister does. She has a Nubian wether with her horses and I tell you those horses protect him like crazy.

3. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Thanks for the input. :)

Here's the deal.

I am considering selling Cookie - the goat that I have that only like me and challenges EVERYONE else - including kids.

I am thinking about just keeping Lulu with Rocky - my original plan was to only have one goat and one horse as companions and I am thinking of going back to that.

Rocky has a nice big stall and Lulu will always have a calf hutch where she can to get "away" from him if she needs to.

He is fine with her and does not show any aggression towards her at all - he will let her eat from his haynet at the same time as him - as long as he has some hay in his belly.

I have two paddocks right now - and if need be she can go in one while he eats his grain and she heats hers....

She really seems to like him a lot. My main concerns would be the winter - if she chose to sleep in the calf hutch - would she get really cold on her own????

Thoughts?

4. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I did. They were nearly inseperable. When I went riding, the goat would scream for my horse. And my horse would whinny back, like, "I'm okay. I'll be back in a while," and keep walking. It was really sad when I sold the horses. My wether just cried and cried.

I have no idea about the cold. I live in Arizona, in the high desert. Not that it doesn't get cold, just not REALLY cold.

5. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    LOl - I can imagine that happening.

So they did fine together?

6. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    We had a miniature horse and a LaMancha... they were BEST FRIENDS... when we sold the horse the goat had to go with him. Those 2 were a crack up. They always cuddled, groomed each other and slept together.