The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 of my does have come up with this over the last couple of weeks,
I don't know if it's some type of ringworm or something?
The pictures didn't come out too well but I hope somebody will be able to tell me what it is! it's really flakey on one of them, but smooth on the other, and all in different locations (behind the ear. on the neck around the eye and nose)
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
I would think mites...Ivomec 3 times one week 1 cc per 40# sub Q...sorry it has to be injected to work

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's possible because I do have 3 chickens in the goat barn if goats and chickens can get the same mites?
My does are all bred, can I Ivomec at any time during their pregnancy's?

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
mites, like lice are breed specific...but looks like its mites to me just the same ;)
Ivomec and ivomec plus are both safe for pregnant does..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a bottle of Bimectin injectable (each mL contains 10 mg ivermectin)
Will that do the trick? And should I treat everyone or only the does that I see the bald spots on?
I will definitely give it a try, thanks very much!!

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
I think that will be fine..both are 1% ivomectin..1 cc per 40# sub Q 3 times one week apart..only treat those who have signs of mites...: )

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with the mites. Also, in the second pic it looks like she has some goop in her ear, might want to check that out and make sure it isn't an ear infection.
That was Earwax! I cleaned it out just after I took the picture... felt a little silly for taking the pic first but glad I did cause she wouldn't hold still afterwards lol :p

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would use Ivomec, "not" the Ivomec plus on preggo's, just my opinion.
What is Ivomec plus? I haven't heard of it before... I used the Bimectin which is what we have here (1% ivermectin) Hope that will be ok, I've never wormed my pregnant does before, always do it before I breed and after they kid cause I was never sure if it was ok or not

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
What is Ivomec plus? I haven't heard of it before
Ivomec Plus is Ivomec with clorsulon..it kills liver fluke..Some are still caustious when using on pregnant goats, and thats ok, but from my research and experiance with it it is safe for pregnant does ;)
Bimectin is fine..its like regular Ivomec

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you want to try an different approach, you could try diluted Grapefruit Seed extract used topically. Its a natural antibiotic that might work for ringworm. My goats haven't had ring worm, but in a case of mites, I got rid of them using it along with some herbs. I just dumped it all over them.

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
Mites are super hard to treat..sometimes you need to do atopical treatment along with ivomec treatment...here is a good article on Mites...she goes a bit extreem, BUT when the mites are bad you might have to be more agressive...
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/mites.html

The red dots could be the drying and scabbing over...which is good..

·
Super Moderator
59,933 Posts
Do a google search on "alpacas witches brew". Should bring up an alpaca site that has a great explanation on mites and what to do. If you decide to make the witches brew, I would put it on once a day or once every other day instead of every 3 days.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 23 Posts