Does anyone on here AI?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by RollingHillsBoers, May 3, 2010.

1. RollingHillsBoers

RollingHillsBoers New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    NW North Dakota
    My husband and I are tossing around the idea of AI'ing some of the herd. We have checked around for classes and all we have found are some offered for cattle. So, if we were to take the cattle classes, how similar would it be for goats??? Anyone?? :)

2. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Ooh, good topic. I wish I could offer anything constructive, but I'm curious as well. I was thinking of AI'ing Penny this year as the only buck I've found I like is too far away to set up a meeting either way. :)

3. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    AIing cattle tends to be easier than AIing goats. My mom AIed some for the first time in years this last fall-had some success in the spring with kidding so that was good. I'm planning on AIing this year. I observed more how to do it this last fall-and watched a really good video-an older vide-on how to do it.

4. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.
    We have also tossed this idea around as well. Seems like a good way to bring a quality blood line into a herd without the expense of buying and caring for an exceptional buck.
    Have not looked into it very deeply though. Heard it is very difficult if not impossible to AI does who have not had kids.
    As far as similarity of cattle and goat AI. This pasted from Tennessee meat goat web site.

"Or, if you are experienced in doing artificial insemination, you can purchase semen from proven bucks (if available) and try your hand at a task that is much more difficult than performing A.I. in cattle."

5. RollingHillsBoers

RollingHillsBoers New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    NW North Dakota
    Maybe we should take the cattle classes and then find a video on goats?? We were shopping on the net for straws of boer semen...what we found was pretty expensive compared to cattle. Probably due to the fact that it isn't as common of practice as cattle...$50 for Boer...is that generally the ball park?

Could someone offer the name of a video on AI'ing goats? I saw Hoeggers sells all the AI'ing supplies, I could look and see if they have a video too...

6. jberter

jberter New Member

I have,, but not with the goats,, I have done it with my Akitas in my breeding program for our next show puppys and it's a lot cheaper than sending your girl to the stud dog owners place & paying the feed bill & kennel space & gas there & back.. It would be interesting to hear how they do it with the goats?,, with the dogs,, the poor girl has to stand on her front feet with her head down for a good 15 minuts being held by the vet tech in the vets office, :roll: Can't imagine a goat having to be done that way,, :idea: emagination,, a wonderful thing to have on a boring day.. :slapfloor: sorry,, one of those days here.... Took my 2 & 1/2 year old show akita girl in to have her hips & elbows x-rayed this morning for her OFA with AKC,,, and waiting for the read out is,, :hair: :GAAH: Will know one way or the other if she is IN or OUT of our breeding program when I pick her up and get to see the x-rays.....

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    some of the really nice bucks charge $300 for stud service, ouch! I couldn't get mine there anyway. :)

The Goat Factory carries the best Boer semen, great goats.

8. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    I did AI on horses and Cattle at Cal Poly SLO... We did the hormone treatments to align all brood mares' and heifers' cycles to inseminate in the same 2 days.

We used Gomer bulls and teaser mules to detect heat (still more effective than blood testing for heat).

Then we palpate (you have to be VERY careful to not damage inner structures with the straw and equipment)
    place straw (which you have to be very particular in defrosting, and check for motility before inseminating)
    and finally inseminate.

It's very equipment intensive to do properly... and by properly, I mean giving yourself the best shot at having conception. With the horses, our percentage was much higher than the national average- and if I remember right, it was only 50/50. If you're spending 50-100 per straw, this can get just as expensive as a stud fee quick, with no guarantee...

If I wanted to do AI, I would immediately befriend an AG professor at a local college and see if you could get the students in the equine or cattle AI programs to do it for you the first time (they have the equipment to check motility like $$$ microscopes) and they've done this before on a larger scale. Smaller is more difficult, but I'm sure they'd have better luck than me! I'm out of practice in 2 years lol.

9. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    :ROFL: :slapfloor: Oh boy was your vet having fun with you! I've raised, showed and bred Akitas and Shibas my entire life... A.I's are quite common around here (or were when I was still breeding) You just have to A.I them and put them in a crate where they won't urinate for 15 minutes.... after that all is fine. :)

I've been very interested in learning how to A.I goats.... it would be sooooo much easier and cheaper than having to purchase those East coast bloodlines and pay for transport. :)