Does anyone remember Bewitched?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by TinyHoovesRanch, Aug 11, 2010.

1. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

She was my doe who had all the problems, mastitis, vaginal prolapse, breach baby, no milk. After the horrible kidding with bewitched, we decided she would NEVER be bred......well unfortunately a few months ago, our bucks got out and bred with her so now shes bred and due in september. She is super fat again so im thinking triplets again. She still have a mastitis blob for an udder and her prolapse is back.

So does anyone have any suggestions for her kidding this time? Anything extra I should do?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If you are absolutely positive of her due date, I would definately be sure to be with her when she delivers....how bad is the prolapse?

3. TinyHoovesRanch

Im not positive, I know its in the middle of september, we plan to just watch her everday and make sure she doesnt kid alone. Last time she had a breach baby and it would of been really bad if we werent around...

I can take pics of the prolaps but it doesnt look too bad, the same as last time

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Laura, from her previous experience, you know that it will get worse the closer she gets to delivery, I pray that all goes well this time.

5. TinyHoovesRanch

Yes im expecting that. Luckily I have you guys to help me and if it gets really bad I will definently take her to the vet. Im just so sad this is happening to her, she doesnt deserve it. I will keep everyone posted and make sure to watch her closely now that im home and can see her more.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Can you have a vet stitch her this time and then take out the stitches before kidding since you plan on being around?

You could even induce her if you know when she was bred so you could be sure to be there. Thats what I would do. :shrug:

7. TinyHoovesRanch

Im just not positive because the bucks got in and they were only in for like 20 minutes so we really didnt think anyone was bred. I remember it was in the middle of the month though. Would a vet know at all about her due date?

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I don't think a vet would know her due date unless you are sure of the breed date...How is Bewitched doing though...condition wise? She just had those 3 boys in mid February and dealing with mastitis on top of the rough delivery I hope she's healthy enough to deliver this time.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you would need to figure out when the bucks got out to be sure on her due date. But you can still have her stitched as long as you can tell labor signs.

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep...a simple purse string stich will keep the prolapse from getting bigger, the due date though would need to be known for sure as the stitch will need to be cut before hand. When my doe prolapsed, the vet stitched her 2 weeks before she was due and said I could cut it 10 days later...I waited and snipped it on her day 141...because I wanted to be sure she kept those kids in til they were viable, she delivered the next day.

11. TinyHoovesRanch

Bewitched is looking really good for just having babies earlier this year. Shes really fat but seems happy. I will try and take some pics soon so you guys can see how she looks. I know this is really bad, but I think of it as a blessing. I will call my vet as soon as I talk to my friend, who actually owns her. But she doesnt give a crap about bewitched and wants her gone. Im trying to convince her to let me have her.

12. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    Just a warning on does who prolapse.....it IS a genetic condition so if she has doelings if it were me I would try to find them homes were they would never be bred.
    We had a doe we had purchased when we started who vaginally prolapsed both times we bred her which has now led to 4 generations of prolapse in that line culling the doe from the breeding program each time it showed up. I am convinced it will not breed out after 4 generations. This great granddaughter who kidded this Spring actually looked fine throughout her pregnancy with no vaginal prolapse but when she kidded the kid came out then behind him her uterus decided it would prolapse out. She was rushed to the vet and after a bit of work the uterus was pushed back in and sewn closed with the purse string. She is fine now but our delema with these ones is finding a home where they will never be bred. The dam and granddam of this doe are owned by a friend and she will not breed them. She may also be taking this last doe to join her non-breeding relatives. First thing the vet asked is if she had any relatives who have a history of prolapse. Luckily this doe had a single buckling and he was wethered and this line of does is finished for breeding purposes.

13. TinyHoovesRanch

Ok thanks! Her prolapse was very minor when the vet saw and luckily when she kidded it never came out or anything, its just before she goes into labor

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Poppypatch is right, I personally feel the same way....regardless of wether or not this issue with Bewitched is genetic I have a very soft heart when it comes to my animals and cannot imagine the discomfort this girl is experiencing, when Tilly prolapsed my vet advised against breeding her again and I didn't I have her look a like daughter and chose to not ever breed her because she just doesn't have the body capacity to carry a pregnancy.
    IMO,Regardless of bloodlines or pedigree, if a doe just doesn't look like a mommy type, she should not be bred as it can prove to be fatal to the doe and the kids and I certainly wouldn't want to have the "what if's" hanging over my head, Laura, accidents happen and I know Bewitched is not your doe but it would be in her best interest to get your friend to rehome her into a pet home where there are no bucks around that could "escape" and cause her these issues or worse again.

I lost my doe Tilly to an unrelated issue but I had already made up my mind to follow the vets order and not breed her, her daughter was to replace her on the milkstand BUT as I said, she never grew to a comfortable size for me to want to breed her.

15. TinyHoovesRanch

As soon as she kids im going to be making sure she goes to a pet home only. The vet I went too actually yelled at me because she said the prolapse wasnt genetic and was probably from her not getting enough nutrients as akid. weird I know. I took some pics of bewitched but I hav to wai until later today to put them up. Shes bigger then last time, nice and chubby!

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She doesn't look bad Laura, of course you do know now that she could prolapse worse this with being bred so quick after her delivery, sending prayers that all goes well with the pretty girl and that you aren't bald before she's ready to deliver.

17. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    Not that bad looking when she is standing. Does it pop out when she lays down? With the ones we had it would only come out when they layed down at first then as they got later in pregnancy it would stay out while they were standing as well. Was pretty bad at times about the size of a tennis ball sticking out which was when it was time to have it stitched. The grandmother doe had both a vaginal and rectal prolapse at the same time.
    I didn't want to believe it at first but now I am very convinced it is genetic and does not breed out easily. As many does as we have freshened the only ones to prolapse were all directly related for 4 generations. When the great granddaughter had the uterine prolapse that was too much. The prolapsed uterus was huge and hard to squeeze back in. She had to be completely sedated and we were pouring sugar on it to try making it less slippery. The vet said she had tried this on two cows in the past and was unsuccessful getting the uterus back in but then a cow uterus is about the same size as a person. We had success but it took two of us pushing it in little bit at a time.
    I just heard from the lady who has her dam and granddam that she would like to take her also so she will have a wonderful home and I still get to see them. Much better than staying with me when I have a bunch of bucks around and have a chance for accidental breeding.

18. TinyHoovesRanch

Sometimes it comes out a little more when she is laying, but when she stands up it slowly goes back in. It is just minor right now but I know from past experience it can get worse.....lets hope she doesnt get much worse

19. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Is there options of having the vet sew it for you?