The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
None of the vets here use digital thermometers as they tell me that if they are off , you can't tell. I have an old fashion large animal mercury one but I can see that may not be so good if they break. I actually had one break inside a horse once. I realize the digital if really fast but I think that I still would like the old ones.
I do remember thermometers that has red stuff instead of mercury but I haven't seen one of those in years. But I think I would like to get a vet one if anyone knows where they can be ordered.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I do believe they are more accurate then the digital ones sometimes, but,it is really hard to wait the three minutes that it takes to get the reading. I really do not know if I could even get a gaot to stand like that for that long.
Also, they break so easy, I would have to see one break in the barn. I know of several people that still use them also. They like the better then the digital ones.

·
Breaking Dawn Ranch
2,120 Posts
Lori....I agree. I cant use one like that unless I put my goats on the stand. They are nice though and I thought that they would be more accurate than digital. Chelsey is correct about Jeffers having them.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the Jeffer tip. I'll get one on my next order.
I thought that it was alcohol because I remember tasting it as a kid- make you wonder how I got to such a ripe old age doesn't it.

My girls are OK with my using the old fashioned thermometer but I do have to stand there because, unlike horses, goats poop it out at least once each time- but it's got a string with a clip on it so it doesn't get lost. You put the string on it for horses because horses sometimes have the opposite problem- it gets sucked in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts