Does anyone remember those thermometers with red stuff

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by enjoytheride, Jan 28, 2008.

1. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    None of the vets here use digital thermometers as they tell me that if they are off , you can't tell. I have an old fashion large animal mercury one but I can see that may not be so good if they break. I actually had one break inside a horse once. I realize the digital if really fast but I think that I still would like the old ones.
    I do remember thermometers that has red stuff instead of mercury but I haven't seen one of those in years. But I think I would like to get a vet one if anyone knows where they can be ordered.

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Jeffers has them, I just ordered one.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I do believe they are more accurate then the digital ones sometimes, but,it is really hard to wait the three minutes that it takes to get the reading. I really do not know if I could even get a gaot to stand like that for that long.
    Also, they break so easy, I would have to see one break in the barn. I know of several people that still use them also. They like the better then the digital ones.

4. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Lori....I agree. I cant use one like that unless I put my goats on the stand. They are nice though and I thought that they would be more accurate than digital. Chelsey is correct about Jeffers having them.

5. greif

greif New Member

Nov 3, 2007
    kaukauna, WI
    the rd stuff was colored alchol

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Thanks for the Jeffer tip. I'll get one on my next order.
    I thought that it was alcohol because I remember tasting it as a kid- make you wonder how I got to such a ripe old age doesn't it.

My girls are OK with my using the old fashioned thermometer but I do have to stand there because, unlike horses, goats poop it out at least once each time- but it's got a string with a clip on it so it doesn't get lost. You put the string on it for horses because horses sometimes have the opposite problem- it gets sucked in.

7. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    LOL ETR that last part cracked me up. I'll use my other thermometer and when I have a questionable reading I'll use the one with the red stuff.