Does anyone use Formalin?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by KotiK, Oct 23, 2010.

1. KotiK

KotiK KeithBoers

Jul 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Ok...so long long ago when I knew nothing about goats...my dad got me two wonderful boer show does on my birthday. A year later and they aqcuired some strange abscess and I found out that the man who sold them to us had a CL positive herd. So....they are my pets I couldn't just cull them so I took care of their nots to keep the infection from spreading and bought CL negative goats after that. It hasn't spread but I am tired of popping and cleaning abscess! Does anyone use the new formalin technique? Does it work? Is it illegal because I heard it was? Where in the world can you get it? I raise fish as well and was reading that not only can formalin be used on some goat diseases but also fish diseases...and some horse diseases (so I don't think its illegal, cause alot of people use it for different things.) But, it seems like it might be a handy little medicine to keep around. Anyone got anymore info?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Its not illegal, but formulin is an rx and it is not proven that it works.

Have you ever tested any of your other goats recently for CL? CL lives in the ground if ANY part of that prudulent matter gets on anything it could be there for years... On your boots a sleeve, on the ground and blow around in the dry dirt in the wind.

I would not be taking the risk of having abcesses on the property.

Now you can take that prudulent matter, send to waddl to get an isolate and then send to hygia and have a vaccine made to protect the rest of your herd.

3. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    U can get 10% formalin from valley vet supply online...it's relatively cheap. I am gonna try it on one of my goats tomorrow...I have read both pros and cons about it but I'm gonna try it and keep my doe isolated before I decide to dispose of her. I guess it's just a personal decision as to what u want to do with ur herd. I don't think it's illegal...just off-label because it's not been "proven" to work for goats. I don't use my goats for show or sale for meat...only as pets and to keep the foilage under control out by my pond...so this is the decision I have made...just not ready to get rid of her. So much with goats is just trial and error...and getting information from other goat owners who have tried different stuff. Good luck to you!!!

4. KotiK

KotiK KeithBoers

Jul 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Thank you all so much for the info. If it works KFOWLER let me know. My goats are a hobby, and I do show them but CL does not affect the productivity, show ability, or marketability of the animal. I am not going to cull a good show goat and pet because it gets a big contagious zit...because she had to get it from somewhere, there is no way to avoid the problem- CL negative or not sometime your going to come into contact with a goat that is, especially in my area where whether you all wanna hear it or not is filled with CL goats....so any alternatives to keep it under control are a big help. Thanks.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am sorry - but, that is not ok. I pride my herd on being tested and clean and spent a lot of money to purchase from clean herds and have a hard time knowing that people are taking either positive animals or exposed to animals to show. Cl can be controlled and if every breeder would test and do with as need be, this disease could be eradicated.

It is something that CAN affect productivity, and you would have no idea if they have internal abcesses or not - so if they do - the abcess ruptures (typically in the lungs) and then they cough or sneeze it out exposing other goats, sheep, horses, and I even know of a human that has contracted the disease.

There are people that have run successful sperate herds, but it is not ok to expose others herd to the possibility of contracting Cl

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have to disagree with the statement that CL doesn't effect the productivity showability and marketability.
    CL can affect the productivity of the animal - a doe or buck isn't healthy when they have active abscesses. And an unhealthy animal isn't very productive.

A animal with CL scars or abscesses is not allowed to show (at least near me) and I WILL NOT show where there is known to be a herd with CL attending.

How you choose to handle a CL positive animal is yur personal choice but to knowingly expose other herds to it through sales or shows is irresponsible goat ownership

7. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    I have to agree with the reproductivity or lack of...my doe is 2 yrs old and has been exposed to our buck and not had any kids. I will not expose her again. I plan on fencing an area off for her and watch the rest of my herd and any that show outward signs I will have tested and they will be put in an area that no others will have access to. This is the decision I have made. I penned her up when
    i found the abscess and she will remain quarrantined from the rest.