Does blood always mean miscarriage?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Nubiansrus1, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    I have a pygmy doe at around 120 days and the other day she some blood coming from her her personal area, it was enough to messy up her tail and her personal area, but she didnt miscarry I dont think because shes pretty far along, and I didnt find a baby anywhere. Does blood always mean a problem or miscarrage or can it be normal? I had the neighbor that breeds goats look at her and she said she seemed fine, and she felt kids so she didnt think she miscarried. its been about a week and no more bleeding and she seems fine, never stopped eating or anything. Should I be worried?

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Hmm.. weird. I have never had one have blood on the rear but once and that doe did miscarry, but it was a very small amount of blood and she was only a month along.

I might take her to a vet and they can do an ultrasound to make sure all the kids are still alive in her.

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    IF you have horned goats one of them could have caught her on the vulva. I had a pregnant doe last year who started bleeding and I thought she miscarried. It seems that another goat with horns had "hooked" the vulva and made a very small tear within the opening. It healed up fine and she went on to deliver healthy twin bucklings. We didn't find out this was the cause of the blood until the same goat hooked her udder and tore a big area of skin off.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    At this stage of pregnancy ...you should be able to feel for baby movement.....
    Or as RunAround...mentioned... a vet ...would be able to tell ...if the baby is still in there ...alive or?

Bleeding doesn't always mean miscarriage... it could be as mentioned... from injury.... or infection...