Does Bottle feeding kids make them sweeter?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Kfin, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    I have heard that the only way to get a very friendly goat is to bottle raise it. Is that true? I know my three girls where all three raised on the bottle and they are VERY sweet.

I just think I would feel so bad taking them away from their mother. Would she get upset and depressed from loosing them?

If I can get them to be super friendly and leave them on their mothers I would much rather do that.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes you can handle them to make them sweet and friendly. I do this.

in this topic at the bottom there are links to topics just like this. On Dam vs bottle raised temperments etc - I recomend reading it

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=11524

3. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    Thank you, that was great reading. I think I will dam raise and I spend a couple hours a day with my goats anyhow, so I will just do that with the kids when we get some too. I may even add in an hour or so. :)

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    glad it was helpful to you.

Some days I just want to bottle feed though so I can get the kids gone faster once sold :p

5. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    One of my doelings born this year was dam raised and she was the sweetest kid this spring! She was born a little smaller then all my other kids, so she got the most attention, plus her mom has a nice temperment! I bottle fed a couple of kids this year, but she was my favorite (wish I could have kept her, but you can't keep them all :sigh: ).

6. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    I know, I am really dreading when I have to let the kids go.
    We raised horses for a while and letting the foals go was hard but had to be done. I am hoping I can let go of the kids and adjust as well as i did with our foals.

7. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    You can socialize dam raised kids just fine if you're willing to play with and hold them for a while every day. There is, however, a bonding that occurs with bottle babies that's pretty well instant if you're giving them individual bottles. If you're gang feeding, not so much. Bottle babies are the hardest for me to let go of because they naturally love you and come to you for sustenance. Giving them up is pretty tough, but has to be done.

8. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    All of mine were dam raised and they are super sweet and friendly. They will raise their own babies when they have them but I will handle them a lot.

the only bottle raised goats I have been around (which is only two... not a lot so I am not saying this is typical just what I experienced) were very pushy to people. I want them to bond with other goats more than with me, but to still enjoy being with people.

9. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Nope, not true at all... it just makes them mouthier. (which I find VERY irritating) :hair: I just pay a lot of attention to all of my babies and they are all VERY friendly... all of my goats come running when they hear my voice. They LOVE attention and LOVE people..... I only have one bottle baby and she took a LOT of work to break of mouthing and jumping up on me. The rest of my goats like to rub on me or stand next to me for a good petting and brushing but they never had the bad behaviors that the bottle baby did. The problem with a bottle baby is you end up with a goat that thinks YOU are a goat and tries to play as such. :(

Not to mention... bottle feeding is a LOT of work... I have way too much on my plate to deal with that if I don't have to. LOL

10. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    One of my does was bottlefed, and she is the most vocal of the bunch-and LOOOOVVEES us, almost too much. Since all of my girls are ND and she is the only standard size, that might come back to bite us-she likes to jump...we've been working on that though. Our other bottle baby whether would do the same stuff, only he is with the bucks-and well, we don't go into that field readily-especially this time of the year!!! PEEEEEUUUWWW...

11. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    I have never smelt a Buck in Rutt but from your posts I have read, it must be pretty rank lol.

My three girls where all bottle raised, Padme is sometimes a pill, she is VERY jelous and will try to head butt the other girls away from me.
    Panda has the jumping and mouthing problem, but we are working on that, and it has gotten a LOT better.
    Posha, well what can I say, Posha is almost perfect lol. I LOVE her. She has no mouthing issues, does not jump, loves attention but is not pushy about it, and just plain wonderful. She will actually stand back away and watch me play with the other two girls because she does not like to get pushed around. But when I give her one on one attention she just eats it up.

I have decided to just dam raise these future kids. Especially since I have no experience with it.

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

12. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    We had our first kids in May-and for a week or so they were a bit shy, but we spent time out there, and they became as sweet as can be, and almost as pushy as bottle babies can be. So-it really depends on what you give them, or the time you have to give them. Our doe we got at a few months old was skittish, but has come around SIGNIFICANTLY. She is tame as can be now. The love you have they will feel and come around, MOST of them, I think, unless it is a goat who is just going to be that way. Like people, they all definitely have their own personalities. As for the bucks, well...I guess I'm just not used to the smell. I only have 2....I've heard some people have MANY more, in close quarters. Don't know if I am strong enough for that....they really aren't that bad-they are sweet as all get out, but do I want to go love on THEM? Nope. Not really. LOL...we still love them too!!

13. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    None of our goats were bottle fed, and they are all very VERY friendly. Our buck is not, he isn't mean, but doesn't like people --- he wasn't handled much when he was young. We have a doe we are taming down that wasn't handled much, and she's turning really sweet since we've had her we've worked with her daily.

We have 3 goat kids born in July, and they are SPOILED ROTTEN. The two boys I call the 'tag team' because they are buddies, and are always looking to be rubbed on, and yeah I baby talk them too :) If you don't bend down and love on them, they will walk between your legs, rub their head on your leg, chew on your pant leg, or eventually just jump on you LOL

So with all that said. LOTS of love and attention :) From the moment they are born - after they associate who their mama is, rub on them, and talk to them. That's what we did with ours, and we are new to goats. Worked great for us :) BTW, my youngest daughter is almost 4, and the goats adore her, the babies follow her around like puppy dogs!

14. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Well Ive had it go both ways with dam raised kids. Ive petted and played with them some of them turn out friendly and some of the dont. But once sold and away from the bigger herd, Ive had people tell me that they are like little puppy dogs and follow them all over. I have bottle raised to and it does make friendly kids but sometimes a little annoying to. lol

15. Oat Bucket Farm

Oat Bucket Farm New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    We have two bottle raise and one dam raised and all are wonderfully friendly. We do pull the babies and put them on a bottle just so we can get them sold within the first few weeks so we can have the milk. Also we are in town with less than an acre and so don't have the room to have a bunch of babies (if each doe has twins we would have six babies) running around and no place to separate them well enough from mama at weaning time to actually prevent them from nursing. So pulling and bottling is what works for us right now although in the future, if move, it may not always be that way.

16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I pull my babies at 2 weeks of age at night, then offer a bottle in the morning before returning them to mommas (I milk out moms in the morning). I will tell you this has SAVED my goat's lives! When they get sick and don't want to eat - you can get them to take a bottle of electrolytes and what not and trust me - I will NEVER do it any other way.

And like everyone else said - it does make it to where you can sell them faster - but when they run on a big area of land, it can definately help in socialization.

17. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    Thanks, I think I can work with my kids to make them friendly. I might try getting them use to a bottle though at a couple weeks so I can milk momma.
    We don't have a Huge pen to keep the goats in, its about 200'x300' and they have access to two stalls in our horse barn. We also have or stallion stalls on the other side of the property that have lean tos and are about 150'x30', no stallions in them anymore so I can put the kids over there when we get ready to wean them

We have a camera in the barn so we can check on the them in the stalls from the house, they where our foaling stalls for the horses. Here is pictures of the barn:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Wow! That's HUGE!! I wish I had something like that. We just bought the materials to build a 12 x 20 barn and I thought that was huge, LOL.
    I bottle feed my kids because I don't have enough time in the day to spend hours with them and I also do it for disease prevention. I've had some dam raised kids before I got Nubians and I found that (because I couldn't spend the time with them) they were wild where as bottle fed babies are friendly right away. As long as you teach them from day one that jumping up, being pushy and mouthing it NOT acceptable they will not do it. They are cute and I find a lot of people let them do things when they're little that you usually wouldn't let them do when they are big. Thing is that they don't understand that they are no longer allowed to do it. Just my two cents, lol.

19. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    drooling over your barn

20. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    Thanks, we love the barn, and I guess for goats its a bit overkill. but it was set up for horses really. We had three mares foal in the barn at one time, and two in one night. It was a busy night lol. and I only knew that one mare was foaling because we only have one camera and it was on her since she was the one showing all the signs, I saw she was getting really restless so I told my husband it was time to go to the barn she was getting ready to have her foal, we get there, and walk in and in the stall across is our other mare Dallas down with the front legs out already, she was not even showing signs of foaling and I was not expecting her for another three weeks. So I jumped in her stall and helped her out, then as soon as her colt hit the ground I heard a gush of water and looked up and the other mare I was ready for had just broke her water the front legs where already starting to show. So my husband took care of the colt on the ground while I got in to help Kyann with her filly. It was really busy that night. We did not get to bed until around 3AM. So much to do with the new little ones. I never leave them until they have stood and nursed at least twice.

Anyhow since we don't raise foals anymore I have given the goats two stalls, I plan on using one for a kidding stall whenthey get closer, and another stall I have used for my milking stand and supply stall, the fourth stall is the feed and tack stall for horses and goats. So this is now a goat barn and not a horse barn anymore :p