The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
goat Mamma
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought two mini Nubian does last year and was told both had been bred already and should be prego. One was a yearling FF the other a three year old, third freshener. Fast forward several months and I see a pattern. They are both having a heat every three weeks still! So I put a buck in with them immediately. After two months I switched bucks to a ND yearling who has bred a few already last season. Another two months and I added my nubian buckling. So now they have been in with proven bucks for many months and I am still seeing them in heat every three weeks. They have been wormed (ivermectin 1% orally) and given Bose recently plus they have minerals out. They seem really healthy overall, but they just won't get pregnant. I've seen the boys trying but never succeeding. is it possible I need to go hold the girls still for them? Since both bucks are young I figured it might take a few cycles, but it's been months. Should I just try and find some new girls and sell these as pets? I would love to keep them, but not if they can't be bred! Pictures are Thor (yearling ND buck) and Peaches(3rd freshener mini Nubian), Scooby (2y miniNubian), and Buddy(5 mo Nubian buckling)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,935 Posts
I would make sure their copper and selenium levels are good. Do you have a vet who could ultrasound and make sure they don't have a uterine infection? You could always use lutalyse on them and force a cycle. They may be cystic or they may have a retained corpus luteum. The lutalyse should help that.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
If you really want them bred, I would get your vet involved...they can hopefully give you some options and look into some things and see what's up. I hope the seller didn't know about this issue with them and lie to you about it. I also would recommend older, more mature bucks. I don't expect any of my 5 month old bucklings to get the job done and my yearlings sometimes aren't even breeding well either. I'd get an older mature buck in with them...they're most reliable.

·
goat Mamma
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
bummer I was hoping not to have to get a vet involved as I don't really have one. the woman I bought them from told me that the four-year-old had been a surrogate even and was her best milker. I contacted her when I realize they were not bred and she said I could bring them back if they didn't kid by May, but it's a 3 hour drive so I opted not to, plus I love them already. I had a proven mature buck in with them for several months this spring and still nothing but I had to give him back. I have a feeling one of them as a little copper deficient but they're minerals and things say that they should be the only source of minerals so I have been hesitant to bolus them.the little black yearling doe has a bit of a brown/red tinge on her back half. I also wanted to add that they are not related so is it a coincidence or is there a reason they are both having this problem after living together

·
Super Moderator
58,935 Posts
I think you always have to look at their nutrition. For me, minerals are not enough. I have to copper bolus 3-4 times per year and give BoSe 3-4 times per year. You have to find out what works for your farm. It sounds like they could be a little copper deficient.

At this point, I would want to get the vet involved and figure out what is going on. This is when it is hard to diagnose over the internet and give you definite answers.

·
goat Mamma
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you for your thoughts on this.I realize this is a forum not a vet professional opinion.I was just hoping maybe I was overlooking something simple. I hate the thought that I got sold bummer does. live and learn I guess.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I had a my buck running with my girls from November-March, and only one of the girls is bred, the other one was severely copper deficient. Her twin sister the one that is bred is black, the girl that's not she's a reddish black and that will cause them not to be able to breed. Had I known to copper bolus back them, she might have been able to breed, but i didn't know the reddish tinge color was copper deficiency. I copper bolused all my herd the end of may, and I can already see an improvement with the one girl, as her hair is growing in red. They still get loose minerals...

·
Registered
856 Posts
Quit making that buck run after them..lol

Put them in a pen together or tie the doe to a post she won't run than and that buck will get it done...
Does always want to tease the buck

·
goat Mamma
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just assumed the does would let them do it once they were in standing heat. The only doe I've ever had bred was done on a leash but she didn't need any assistance, she definitely wanted his company ;) that was before I owned any bucks.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I had a my buck running with my girls from November-March, and only one of the girls is bred, the other one was severely copper deficient. Her twin sister the one that is bred is black, the girl that's not she's a reddish black and that will cause them not to be able to breed. Had I known to copper bolus back them, she might have been able to breed, but i didn't know the reddish tinge color was copper deficiency. I copper bolused all my herd the end of may, and I can already see an improvement with the one girl, as her hair is growing in red. They still get loose minerals...
Correction her hair is growing in black:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts