Does certain worm medication works in south and north?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by myfavgoats, Oct 10, 2007.

1. myfavgoats

myfavgoats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I need to know does in south need certain kind of chemical wormer that WILL work or WILL not work. What about North?? Becuz I remember someone said that in south cydectic dont work. Is that true?? Please let me know the information. Thanks.. Oh how many days do u use the safegaurd (tapeworms) ?? How much of the dosages???

2. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    HHHMMMMM.... I really don't know about which ones do and don't work for the different areas, but I am located in the south and around here everyone says that Ivermectin is the absolute best you can use (which is one of the wormers I myself use). I also use Cydectin and both of them have worked great for me. Hope this helps :D

3. myfavgoats

myfavgoats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Oh!! Thanks.. It helps. Becuz I remmeber someone said that ivermetic is the best in the south.. But will it help get rid of tapeworms in the south ?? Becuz I heard that safegaurd dont work in the south.. Is that true?

4. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    when i was in maine i used ivermec plus & i use the same thing here in TN. i give it orally & have not had any problums with worms

5. jaymerose

jaymerose New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    I live in Minnesota and have had goats for a year and a half now. My experience this summer was not good. I wormed all the goats with ivomec the end of August then had to turn around and worm them all again the first of October with panacure because the ivomec did not kill the tape worms.

6. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Your Vet or a local livestock vet if you don't have one you deal with can usually tell you what wormer work best in your area. Try calling the office staff may even have a list for your area and animals. If the vet not a opinion you can try the feed store. We have one feed store that I trust on such question the owner has been here for years and want to keep your business so they will even call other breeds to get you help. I will be talking to someone today myself because my normal routine is not working like it should. Shelly

7. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    HHHMMM... I am not sure about the tapeworms part... But I do know that Safeguard does not work AT ALL for us, our vet advised us not to use it.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    safeguard is 3 times the dosage amount for 3 days.