Does disbudding ever get any easier?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by WalnutGroveFarm, Apr 12, 2010.

1. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I had to disbud my little nubian/nigerian today. I was a nervous wreck. I shaved his little buds good so I could see them good. But when I started burning, man my legs where shaking, good thing I was setting on the box. I would have fell over. I was sweating like crazy and my heart was racing. I took my time though and burned to the copper ring, pop the bud off and then turned the iron sideways and rolled it out I call it. I hope I got them good dont want to have to do them again. Does this ever get easier. This is my first one that I did totally by myself. Im just glad its done.

2. farmgirl1

farmgirl1 New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Monroeville, NJ
    I don't know and I don't want to find out, In fact I never want to disbud... EVER! I will get my mom to do it for me until I am like 18 or something and have to do it by myself. lol

3. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    It hasn't gotten any easier for us. I HATE it. I know it's necessary when you raise registered dairy goats, but I really dread it every season. I can't decide which is worse - the sound or the smell. Both are terrible. :sigh:
    -Tina

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no it doesnt get any easier. I still shake.

I hope you burned him good and hard - those bucks love to regrow those horns. I figure the pain now is better then having to redo it later. I had one doe kid who had to be burned 3 times!

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I think it does get a bit easier with experience...when you become more confident that you're not going to kill them and you see how quickly the babies recover. It is never pleasant though.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    It gets easier, at least, when you have 20+ kids a year to do, it has to get easier.

I still have my favorites that I get all upset over, but usually it's just old news, or maybe I'm Jaded.

Now that i've got disbudding down, and do it right, the kids don't even notice I did anything about 10 minutes later. ;)

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    mine were laying around and sleeping afterwards but I know that by tomorrow they should be fine -- will check on them before I go to sleep to make sure no one is in terrible pain but I also give banamine when I disbud so that helps me feel better

8. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I still beg my breeder friend to do all of my disbudding! It TERRIFIES me! I'm less worried about the actual disbudding process and more concerned that my clumsiness will burn ears, my hand, slip and get an eye.... yeah can we say butterfingers over here???LOL Way too scary! I really missed my buck from last year.... he produced 11 out of 13 polled kids.... that sure made life MUCH easier!!! :laugh:

9. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Stacey I hope I burned them good, I got to the copper ring but I know that doesnt always mean anything. I hope I dont have to do them again, but I might since this was my first time alone. Im so scared of cooking their brains. He was also laying around when I got done with him I thought that I had killed him for sure. I need to get some banamine so I can give that it would make me feel better to I think.

Runaround I sure hope it does get easier, cause if my heart keeps racing I might cause myself to have a panic attack. lol

Myfainters I was having a friend do them but at $5 dollars a kid, which I know isnt bad but gas to her house and back, and then having to take them from their mommies, I hated to keep doing that. This way I disbud and hand them right back to their mom. Im sure im going to make mistakes probably have scurs, but I hope not.

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    It has gotten a lot easier for me. I went from freaking out like you are describing to just being calm as I'm disbudding. I think it may have something to do with the way I disbud - just more comfortable not using a box. I kind of sit cross-legged and tuck the kid's legs under mine, hold their head securely, and burn. I never hold it for 10 seconds but burn a little, look at it/let it cool, and then burn some more until I get a little past the copper ring. If they are boys, then I focus a little more on the front of the bud (closer to the eyes) and make sure that area is burned a little more so (where the scurs will come up).

I have found that the kids do not freak out as much when not in the box. I also do not have to fight to keep their heads up since all I had was a standard box.

When I was really freaking out, I sang to myself and hummed - it did help quite a bit. :)

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    :hug: it gets easier for sure! A lot easier when you use a little whiskey, or tequila. ;) :cheers:

12. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Do you give the whiskey to the goat?

Jan

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I share it with them. ;) :ROFL: :slapfloor:

But really I've got it just sitting there on the shelf, in the barn, in case of emergency's..... :ROFL:

14. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    :slapfloor: we call it 'liquid courage' around here.

15. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hey what do you guys do when the horns are 1/2" ? I was supposed to have her budded by our neighbor but she's not responding 1 week late, guess I'll borrow an iron and do it myself.

16. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I wish I could answer your question but I just started doing it. Sorry, but I hope you can get her done soon.

17. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.
    I remember reading about disbudding when we first started raising goats. Somewhere I read something like "if the goat is under one week old it's disbudding. After one week it's dehorning."
    The first time I did it the kids were ten days old. I have never done one older than five days old since.
    Even at only four days old some kids are extremely strong. I have never tried to do it by myself. I've always had someone hold the kid. Sometimes the kid is in the box and my helper just holds the head still or sometimes they hold it in their lap. Depends on the size of the kid.
    After about the first ten I finally became more relaxed when disbudding. Still hate it though.

18. goatstafson

goatstafson New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    I have dehorned several goats with up to 1 inch horns with my iron. I just put the hot iron on the top of the horn and burn it well and then with a dull table knife, knock the burnt top of the horn off. This normally removes about 1/4 of an inch of the horn, Then I do the process over again and remove another 1/4 of an inch, just keep doing this until you get down to the ring. Allow the goat to rest and "cool" between each "burning" session as you don't want to overheat their little heads and your iron needs to warm up well between. Personally I find that with a 1 inch horn, it is better to do it over a couple of days removing roughly half at a time.

The best though is to get them early, but it seems like there is always one kid that is a little late.

19. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    I disbudded my first little girl this year, and it was hard! But, I had her in the kid box and back to mommy in no time which helped. She was completely back to normal in a very short time. We did buy a nubian buck (now wether) that had about 1 inch horns the guy we bought him from just "hadn't gotten around to it"... grrr Anyway, what some friends of mine did is when the iron was nice and hot, they lopped off the top half of the horn that was there and burned it immediately to stop the bleeding and then did a "normal" burn. They gave him a break in between burns just to keep from cooking him too long. He was nearly 8 weeks old at the time. Definitely not something I want to deal with again. My doe kid that i disbudded I wound up doing her at 2 days old due to she was born with horn buds starting to stick out already! I keep telling people she was born a week old. (9 pounds 13 ounce single)