doe's hair changing color and thinning

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by snuckers, Mar 3, 2013.

1. snuckers

snuckers New Member

Mar 3, 2013
    My lovely milk chocolate brown Nigerian doe started shedding about a week ago, she looked fine before then. Her new hair is coming in white, dull, is very thin and pulls out easily. She has a lot of dandruff but doesn't seem particularly itchy. She is eating well and seems normal, otherwise. I did not breed her this year, she was a first freshener last year. My other doe who is pregnant has not started shedding and her hair is glossy and black.
    I am thinking she either has worms or is deficient in some mineral. Any suggestions as to what the problem may be? :confused:

2. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    sounds like she needs copper...we buy the bolus for cows and break it down..its 1 gram per 22 pounds of weight...

3. snuckers

snuckers New Member

Mar 3, 2013
    copper bolus

Thanks. Previous to this winter, they had a goat mineral block available, then I switched to loose minerals this winter. I think her pregnant pal has been finishing off her grain and probably getting more of her minerals than I thought. I used to leave the loose minerals out but she isn't particularly fond of them it seems so started putting them in her food. Do you think I can skip the bolus and just put back the goat block or do you think I should give her a bolus and switch back to the goat block?

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

The goat block won't do anything for her. You need to bolus.

5. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes..Karen is right.she needs the bolus...here is an article about it..you will see from it that the hair is just one outer sign of health issues she can be dealing with. Your other Goats may have more suddle signs of the need..
    http://www.saanendoah.com/copper1.html

i would sit the loose minerals back out as well..

6. xymenah

xymenah Member with a bahhh

Jul 1, 2011
    Mount Olive, NC
  7. snuckers

snuckers New Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Based on the info in the article, it sounds like she may need wormed. She was wormed a few weeks ago with dumor pelleted goat wormer, but maybe something more comprehensive. Any suggestions are welcome. Then the copper bolus.

We have no vet around here that deals with ruminants so thank you for all for your help.

8. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I use Ivomac Plus....1cc per 40 pounds Sub Q....it stings..so expect a reaction..it may or may not bother her...some of my girls care less while other do...