Does having a twin sister affect a goat bucks fertility?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Saanens N Alpines, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Saanens N Alpines

Saanens N Alpines New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Southern MI
    I had someone tell me this today and had never heard anything like this. They said if a male goat has a twin sister he has a 50% chance of being sterile or unable to breed. They also said that with Boer goat bucks, they couldn't be registered until proven. Not sure if it was only if they had a twin sister or what....lol! I asked another former Boer breeder and she said she had never heard this either.

2. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    I sure hope not, I just bought a buck that had a twin sister. :?

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    The person that said that was very confused ... They were thinking COWS not goats and they got it backwards. In cows, a mixed sex pair of twins, the FEMALE will be infertile about ninety seven percent of the time, but the male has no fertility problems. This is called freemartin and happens in cows but not really in goats. Do a search, i'm sure i've explained the mechanism before. I'd tell you again now but i'm on my cell phone :)

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Oh with the registration thing, being in a different country I can't really help, but our boer registry doesn't require that the bucks are proven - that would be silly - you couldn't sell a registered buck or show a buck until he was mature!

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    All registries will take your money no questions asked. :wink:
    And it's true, the person had goats crosswired with cows.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Better tell my bucks that they couldn't have sired the kids they did because both had twin sisters :wink:

Fertility is an issue with male/female twins in cattle....not in goats.

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yep...cows...not goats.

8. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    On the other hand, there are cases of freemartin goats. Does that have male siblings and are sterile.

I believe my friend's doe, who had three or four male littermates, is a freemartin.

9. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Yep-I've heard about it in cows first hand...one of our black angus cows had twins a male and female and had this problem. Haven't heard about it in goats tho...think it might have been a mistaken thought!

10. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    This could only happen if they share the same sack (not the same horn)
    More than likely the sterility was a genetic issue and not caused from her male siblings hormones. :ponder:

11. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I've been doing some researching on it because this doe stayed at my place for a while.

She is polled, but not from polled x polled. No glaring visual cues but has very tiny teats and and apparently immature vulva. No protrusions though.

None of her sire's other progeny appear to have issues (popular sire) but no idea on the dam.

She was 'bred' twice before my friend bought her, didn't settle. Came to my house on two seperate occasions to be bred and both times, never came into a heat. I've never missed a heat before, but I imagine it's possible. I kept her housed with the buck 24/7 the second time. Never saw evidence of being bred.

I think she's a freemartin personally. Which sucks, cause she's a NICE goat. And my friend's favorite.

12. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    That would be awful in goats since having twins, triplets or more is completely normal. You would have so many sterile goats! I never knew that about cows though. Bizzaro.... I guess that is why you don't want twins in cattle. You don't want twins in horses because they will abort the pregnancy in most cases (I don't remember the percentage, but it is very high.) It has something to do with the mare's uterus not having enough surface area to support multiple foals. If the babies carry to term, one can be mummified, or born dead, or both can be born dead. At the least, if one or both are born alive, they are very tiny and weak, often premature, and survival rates are horrid (for the mare too.) That is why ultrasounds at about two weeks after breeding is exceptionally important in horses. You can pinch a twin at that point.

13. Saanens N Alpines

Saanens N Alpines New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Southern MI
    Thanks for all your input. I couldn't imagine how I had never heard of this before, if it was true!