The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a gal that has been bred but continues to come into heat? I have 2 gals, bred several times (witnessed the breeding) 3-4 weeks ago. Both girls have since come back into heat and were caught getting bred again!! Each has had 2 other successful pregnancies.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Dealing with one right now/ she has also started to short cycle and has had heats every 10 days ...vet call made and she's been given Cystorelin injections because it's very likely that she is cystic, my doe is 4 years old and has had twins and quads. Hoping to get her settled again

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have had same issue this yr with 3 of my does but I have thought it has to do with all the illnesses that I was dealing with over summer not that any of these girls were ever sick at all kinda weird

·
Registered
368 Posts
Goatgirl16 how r ur goats acting -Grace P Michigan
She will go up to the buck pen and flag them through the fence. she was should be due in dec but I'm not sure. We rebreed last month so may be Feb she was flagging again last night Last year I had one come back one time after breeding she had twins in April.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Goatgirl16 how r ur goats acting -Grace P Michigan
They get Bucky and start trying to hump each other they have finally all just settled this last breeding thank goodness No more spitting jumping Bucky girls I think every time someone went into heat it caused everyone else to act like they where in heat but I know for sure 2 of them didn't take the first 2 breedings I believe the one doe did take the first try she just acted like she was in heat

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Are you using the same buck on these does? Has he successfully bred other does this season? If the does are cycling normally, it could be the buck. I had a bull that was only 68% good, he bred 2 out of 5 cows, only way we noticed was that the cows were being bred every 3 weeks.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Are you using the same buck on these does? Has he successfully bred other does this season? If the does are cycling normally, it could be the buck. I had a bull that was only 68% good, he bred 2 out of 5 cows, only way we noticed was that the cows were being bred every 3 weeks.
Yes same buck but he did breed 8 other successfully first try so don't think it's him

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok thanks for the comments. Same buck and he has been good on other does. Both of these girls are healthy, no sickness at all and kidded last January. It seems hard to believe that both of them suddenly have cysts but anything is possible. I'm sure hoping that this doesn't happen again in 3 weeks!!

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I have a doe that is in heat every 5 days or so, just got the cystorelin for her. Cystic ovaries is the most common reason for short cycling and not settling but make sure they arent deficit in selenium and copper, and make sure they dont have an infection.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Some does just keep breeding for the rest of the cycle even if they are bred lol I say it's for practice haha but who really knows

·
2,203 Posts
Ok thanks for the comments. Same buck and he has been good on other does. Both of these girls are healthy, no sickness at all and kidded last January. It seems hard to believe that both of them suddenly have cysts but anything is possible. I'm sure hoping that this doesn't happen again in 3 weeks!!
You'd be surprised on how common cystic ovaries are. Give a dose of cystorelin. You may wish to give Bo-Se while you're at it, or Multimin.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well one of these gals bred again today....19 days after the last time. Very very frustrating to say the least.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I have a doe that is in heat every 5 days or so, just got the cystorelin for her. Cystic ovaries is the most common reason for short cycling and not settling but make sure they arent deficit in selenium and copper, and make sure they dont have an infection.
How do you test for an infection? One of my does is in heat almost all the time... Same with another, but we won't breed the second. The first one is probably cystic, but we have used cystorelin and it didn't work.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 4yr old doe... Kidded 2xs and didn't settle last year either.. Have tried three bucks and all three have settled other does... But her heats are all on time and she isn't showing any other cystic symptoms... She drives me crazy!

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
On time heats are typically a good indicator of an infection. With horses you can have a culture done on the mare to determine if she has an infection or anything else, and an experienced vet may be able to do that with a goat, but the easiest thing would be to give her a shot of lute to open her cervix and then infuse her with an antibiotic (from your vet) and just treat for an infection and see if that works.

·
2,203 Posts
Time to invest in CIDRs. You can dose up penicillin or a UI but I really prefer not to treat unless necessary. Your vet can ultrasound for infection. I would either start an ov-sync or a CIDR plan. Give a shot of Bo-Se, and copper bolus as well. Could be related to mineral deficiency.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts