Does Levasole kill tapeworms?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cyanne, Aug 12, 2009.

1. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

I have a young ND doe that is pooping out white segments. I tried worming her with Ivomec but it did not work so I assuming that these would be tapeworms. I went to the feed store to get a wormer that kills tapes. They had Safeguard and Valbezen, which both kill tapes but they only had them in large quantities that were really expensive and I only need it for 1 goat minimum or 10 goats max if I wormed everybody. I asked what else I could use and they said they sold individual tablets of Levasole. It says to give a half a tablet for a 25 pound animal and that is about right for this doeling so I bought the tablet but now I can't find anywhere online that mentions whether Levasole really does kill tapeworms. :hair:

Anybody use this before who can give me their experience?

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    These would be tapes... the Levasole tablet should be used with caution, I found this on Jack Mauldin's website

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I'm not really sure on the Levasole, if it kills tapes, and it's safety margin. But I do know that safeguard usually works in high doses for 5 days straight to kill tapes.

4. Valbazinwill take care of tapeworms. Just be sure it is not 3 months prior to breeding or a month after for safe measure.

5. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

I know that valbezin (sp?) kills tapes, I just couldn't afford to buy the huge bottle that they had at my feedstore. I was asking about whether levasole kills tapes because that is the alternative that the feedstore recommended (and it would have been perfect since they sell it by the pill so I could get a dose for a single doe).

From the sound of it, though, I guess that the levasole doesn't kill tapes because I can't find any info about it killing those anywhere...and since I am planning to breed this doe in September, I guess the valbezin is out as well if you have to wait 3 months after using it to breed them. Looks like I'll have to go back and try to find a smaller bottle of the safeguard.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Do you have a Tractor Supply around? Does your feed mill carry wormers for horses at all? If so, you CAN use the safeguard paste for horses...cheaper too as well as pyrantel pomate liquid to kill tapes.

7. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

Yep, I have a TSC near me...I am going to head there this weekend. Good to know that the safeguard paste for horses will work. The only safeguard I had been able to find was in bottles that were either $30 or over $100 and I just don't need that many doses. With the horse paste am I supposed to dose at 3 times the weight the way you do with Ivermectin? And someone mentioned giving it for 5 days straight...is that correct or do I just dose once and then again in 10 days?

Also, this is the only doe I have noticed with white segments in her poo, everybody else looks normal so I have just been worming with Ivermectin from time to time...should I go ahead and dose them all with the safeguard now as a precaution? Is it safe for pregnant does? Is there any milk dump needed?

Thanks guys!

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    No milk dump with safeguard,safe for preggy girls and kids too, and since she is with the herd, it would be best to treat all of them...Safeguard is at 3 x the horse dose , so triple your goats weight and dose accordingly, I have seen where others do the safeguard for 3 days then again 10 days after the 3rd dose for another 3 days....and don't worry, you cannot overdose with it. BTW....1 tube of safeguard for horses is around $8 and will worm a 1200lb horse so if your goats are getting a 250# dose, you may want to pick up 2 tubes :wink:

Oh and TSC also carries "Ivercare" a 1.87% ivermectin paste at a very cheap price...$6 a tube!

9. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

Yep, I've used the TSC Ivercare before...the price is nice but my goats hate the taste. My feedstore carries a tube(can' remember the brand), also for horses, that is around $5 and it is apple-flavored so the goats are much, much more cooperative about taking it. Of course, it doesn't kill tapes so it looks like I am going to have to buy some safeguard to use this go-round.

Thanks again for the info!