The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing a registered Nubian doe. The owner states that she had mastitis last year but is now clean. Will this have any effect on her future milk production? Will she be prone to future infections? Thanks!

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Depends on how/if she was treated. My doe had mastitis before I got her. She doesn't milk quite as well, and I can't milk her totally out either because of the tissue mass in her udder.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
It totally depends on how bad the infection was and how aggressive treatment was.
I have a doe who had mastitis in one side in 2012, I caught it early enough that the only lasting affect with this past freshening was a small lump of scar tissue in the back of the affected udder.

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is some back story on the Doe, maybe it will help me to make an informed decision since I'm not an expert. Here is her breeding- 6M Galaxy on sire's side. Jacob's Pride with Goddard farm on Dam's side. She has been exposed to a Black Mesa buck (not confirmed though) and I know the Black Mesa ranch has really nice stock. Grand Champion and Best of Breed at the county fair this year. Averages 2 gallons per day at peak but had mastitis last year which owner says is now clear. I don't know how aggressively it was treated or how bad it was. She is 3 years old. Herd is CAE/CL free. She is priced reasonably but I don't want to be fighting issues with mastitis chronically. What do you guys think about the breeding etc? Is it worth the risk with all her positives?

·
Goat Girl
1,985 Posts
I would ask what type of mastitis she had, or what bacteria it was that caused it. Staph is pretty common and typically will only present in an uneven udder, but other bacteria can cause more severe types of mastitis. I have one doe that had mastitis before I got her, she still milks on that side, but only gives about half of what the other side does. When she is empty you can feel the tissue that she is missing in that side of the udder compared to the other side. I did have another doe that had a very bad case in one side, and was not treated by the previous owner. She did not produce any milk from that side. It is hard to say if she will always have mastitis troubles or not, my doe doesn't have any problems but I do always dry treat her when I stop milking (infuse both sides with Tomorrow) as a preventative. Her breeding is definitely good and as long as she still produces milk from that side she should be a nice doe. Even if she isn't top show quality (if her udder is uneven) she should still have some nice kids.

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
I've never had a case of mastitis but, according to what I've read, once a doe has developed mastitis it is likely to occur again because it is nearly impossible to kill all the bacteria in the udder.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,805 Posts
Crazy is pretty much right. If its a bad enough infection, it could heavily effect the milking capability of that half the udder and also make it more acceptable to getting mastitis again. And as each year can pose risk of it, it also increases the risk of a gang green case where that half of the udder is un treatable and it eventually sluffs off. Now this is the extreme side of it and it may of been a very light case of mastitis and was treated fast and correctly. So I would suggest if you do intend to buy, do as much mastitis research to become familiar with all aspects of it. This way you can watch for it and treat it correctly and in a timely manner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts