Does meaness run in the family???

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by needs to know more, Feb 8, 2008.

1. needs to know more

needs to know more New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Washington
    I do have 3 generations of one family, but they aren't mean, maybe a little pushy at times. But just looking at them doesn't answer my question. This is going to be long, I tried a short verson, but it didn't work.

I've got a doe that is a beach with a capital "B". She has a wether for a companion. She is not allowed with the other does/doelings because she does not play well with others. She has never liked her wether buddy, but used to let him sleep close to her. Now he stays far away. He is twice, if not more, bigger than her. As soon as I can I will be moving him out of her pen, for his own saftey. Beleive me, this doe will be fine without a goat companion. The only time she likes another goat is when it is a buck and she is in heat. Last spring she had a kid. I was so hoping that she would then have a buddy for life. How could a mom not like her own kid. Well she didn't. Within 24 hours I had a bottle baby. Baby Girl as the kid is still called, spent the first couple of months by herself. The other kids where older and bigger than her and she traveled with me out of state for several weeks. Once put in with the does/doelings, she was picked on. But learned how to be a goat and get a long with the group. Now she is turning into a smaller verson of her mother. If she keeps going at the rate she is going, she will be competing with the does for top position pretty soon. She is already ahead of one in the pecking order. She hasn't bullied her way past all the doelings yet. Just like her mom, she is just the sweetest thing to me, and other humans. But I am wondering what she is going to turn into. She won't be a year old until May. Is she going to turn out like her mother? Will she ever be able to raise her own kids? Or will she turn on them, like her mother did?? Due to what I went through to get her into this world and alive, and having traveled with her and bottle raised her, she is a keeper. But I am just trying to figure out if she is going to turn into as big a pain in my back side as her mother is??

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I believe that temperament is partly inherited but what they do is very variable.
    For instance, my yearling horse is the spitting image of her Mom in disposition and looks - she is not sensative. In fact if I wacked with a 2x4, she would probabably look at me and say "You wanted something?" Her Mom was like that too- not mean but pushy. Both alike.
    But what they do with this attitude varies. So your doeling might be queen of the herd but be a benign dictator- she may be bold but not mean about it. She certainly is not her mom so other things might come into play. I think you can't tell til she's grown for sure.
    Not much help I know.

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

what breed is she? how old is she? Have you had her her whole life? Was she dam raised or bottle raised. Most of the temperment does come from the dam, however you can divert things by bottle raising and handeling i think. i think breed plays a big part in it too.
    beth

4. needs to know more

Oct 7, 2007
    Washington
    The doe is an Alpine, she is going on 7 years old. I assume she was dam raised. She was my first goat and we bought her from some people selling goats at the road side. When we bought her I was told she was 6 weeks old and a Nubian. Not knowing anything about goats it took me a while to figure out she wasn't a Nubian and was an Alpine. I hit the feed store asking what I needed to feed her. They sent me home with milk replacer and a bottle. She would not take the bottle, and I did try. So I assume dam raised. I was not goat smart at the time. Not that I know enough now 7 years later.
    Her baby, the doeling is half Alpine half Boer. Birth was not uneventful. I tried to leave her on mom, but that proved not to be a safe thing.
    I know different breed are known for differnt things but are Alpines known as being mean!!

And enjoy the ride, I am looking for any ideas, thoughts, guesses etc. So thank you.

5. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    I have alpines and they are very dominant. I could not keep nubians with them. The nigerians were a pretty alert group. I did have an alpine buck who turned "mean". Could not trust him at all. His sire and grandsire all had the same trait along with some other weird traits as they got older. Have put down these type of animals. Is the doe bonded to humans and not other does? Bonded with humans she may not have proper goat manners/behavior. Have seen several goats bonded to humans and been quite aggressive to strangers and other goats.
    Sue

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    :wave: I have a doe that rejected the smallest kid. Last yr she tried the same thingon her 2nd kidding. I forced her to accept that smallest doeling.
    Her daughter, the one who was rejected, was bottle raised and is about to pop in a few weeks. This should be interesting, if this trait is passed down.

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Alpines are VERY pushy. I used to have 2 and I sold them because I couldn't stand them anymore. My herdqueen is 25% Alpine and she is VERY pushy and her two daughters who are LaMancha are also bullies in the barn.

In the boer herd, our first bottle baby, Daisy, is a daughter of one of the queens. She has never been mean and when she kidded she accepted her kid and never let him out of her sight. I really think it all depends upon the goat whether or not they will nurse their kids.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Oh, I totally believe that they get their demeanor for their family. When I breed to a outside buck, I make sure he is a nice even temperament buck.
    Good luck. I know how hard it is to have a doe like that. I have one that everyone runs from. Some goats will not even go into the barn if she is in there, so I have to lock her up.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Yup i agree with sue, you have a typical alpine. especially now that she is older. alpines tend to be one of the more pushy breeds. They like to fight i think. Nothing is ever good enough for my girls they have to push the others around they always want what someone has. I have a seven year old doe who can get very rude. her sister who i just sold to sybil is the same way. They were buddies here. Now that cally is gone chrome rules then roost here.
    beth

10. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    I have a pygmy doe that is very ornery She is especially mean to one of the wethers. She was raised by herself for about 1 year and then we got her two friends well I think she would rather we had left the boys at the farm. She thinks she is a human not a goat.

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I used to have pygmys as well. Most were pretty mellow but i had one doe who could get very agressive. Even with my alpines. I think with them being alone with the company of people they like you said think they are people. She may have been a little spoiled.
    I have an alpine doe now that is nearly two, she can get very agressive. They people i got her fomr didn't dicipline at all and let her get away with eberything. She rear up to challenge people she doesn't know. And is over all very rude. We are trying to break those habits. I tell people not to hesitate to give her a smack on the nose especially if she is challenging them. She is getting better. Thanksfully she was only a yearling when i got her and she isn;t entirely set in her ways. her dam is the same way. My friend has her dam and can't wait until she kids to hopefully make her mellow out.

beth

12. needs to know more

Oct 7, 2007
    Washington
    Thanks all, I am going to hope that this does is just meaner than your nomal pushy Alpine. If not they all need to be in padded stalls to protect themselves!!!! She will be going to the vets tomorrow evening to have an eye problem looked at. One that she caused from hitting her head so hard agains't things while trying to get to the other goats. Her eyes have been doing this for a couple of years, but now it is causing a problem. Might be an interesting vet trip as she will be going in at the same time I am picking up a dog. The dog will be in a crate so he will be protected from her for the ride home. And part of her problem could be that she spent a long time with only horses as companions. She was at least 1 1/2 before the horses left and I got her a goat buddy. She never really liked him them, but now seems to hate him.

As to the doeling. I hope she doesn't turn out like her mom. She is 1/2 Boer and her daddy was a sweet heart. She won't be bred until next fall, so it will be a while before we see how she does as a mom. There is 8 goats total in her pen. A couple she really seems to like. So hopefully she knows she's a goat and not a horse!!!

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

being with horses probably had played a big part in it. Horses area lot stronger and she may of had to fight for what she wanted. She is now taking that to heart when fighting other goats. She feels she has finally moved her way to the top and now she has to fight to stay there.
    beth

14. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    LOL cut pic! I would definatly say that dam raised kids tend to take after their mom.

15. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

How old is she in that picture? Is she the same size now?
    She looks really really small for an alpine.
    beth

16. needs to know more

Oct 7, 2007
    Washington
    She was only a few months old in that pic. she is much bigger now. Don't know if I can find a grown up pic of her easily. Or if I have one that shows her size. but i'll look or get a new one.

17. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

ah that explains it. She is really cute. Your horse looks thrilled to have a "rider"
    beth