The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good morning all. My Nigerian Dwarf doe will be 3 in June. She kidded triplets on the 28th of April. This is my second time milking her, and I was super excited. She has the sweetest, best tasting milk out of my herd. Which makes up for her less than awesome udder.
I sold two of her kids on Tuesday and held back the smallest as a companion to my bottle baby. All three were polled like mom. I milked her that first night, and I didn't expect much. Then when I tasted it after cooling, I immediately spat it out. It tasted like it was rotten! I thought maybe I didn't filter it right or get it to the fridge in time, so yesterday I was very careful in the handling. Tried it again, and I gagged it out. What is wrong?
I did notice her udder felt hot and kind of meaty. I figured this was from having triplets constantly nursing, and now she's being milked twice a day. Her little buckling is still on her during the day. He's acting frisky and growing, so the milk doesn't seem to be bothering him at all. Her production seems normal. I checked her temp last night, and it was 103.2. This morning it was 101.3. I'm hesitant to give her anything if there aren't any other symptoms.
The store was out of alfalfa hay, so I got Bermuda. Other than that, her diet hasn't changed. She doesn't gobble her pellets like she usually does, but she's drinking water fine. She also bit me yesterday while on the milk stand, which has never happened. I could usually milk her in the middle of the pasture without her so much as lifting a hoof. She's very gentle.
I lay my head on her side when milking sometimes, and I noticed a hard lump. Her belly also makes odd noises, but this is her left side. I imagine that's her rumen doing its thing.
I ordered a mastitis testing kit and treatment kit in case that's it. Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm attaching pics of her milk, which looks normal, her udder, and the babies just cus who doesn't like babies?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
34,617 Posts
A few things can cause milk to be off flavored. Mastitis of course can, but also mineral deficiency, such as copper. Plants and weeds she may eat and parasite load. I would find a source if alfalfa for her as well. With her acting like things are painful to milk..really give that udder a look about. Look for redness, sores, extra heat, lumps and bumps.
I would start by having a complete fecal done. Meadowmistlabs.com does a great job. Check her famacha. I would go ahead and test for mastitis and in the mean time while you wait for that test to come in..feed her back her milk from both sides a few days. About 20 to 30 cc. Her body will detect if there is anything Going on and begun building antibodies to fight against it. Start giving her daily probiotics and vit c.
Her tempnis ok..but on the higher end if normal..so keep a close eye on it. Best wishes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts