Does my baby have moon spots?

Discussion in 'Photogenic' started by Di, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I was enjoying just hanging out with the goats this morning. I can't believe I haven't noticed this before...what do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Carly's baby girl. She's Reg. Nigerian.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Look like moonspots to me :greengrin: ...wow is she growing!

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
  5. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
  6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yep, she has moonspots for sure! How exciting, I've always liked moonspots!

7. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    well since its a black goat im not so sure
    I had a black goat get the orangy/red spots on her when we changed feeds. when we went back to the original feed they went away.
    i was excited I thought she had gotten moonspots

8. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Do you have pics of her sire and dam? Do either have moonspots? If not then it's VERY unlikely these are moonspots.

9. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I don't really think those are moonspots. But they could be. To me it looks like what black goats get when they are copper deficient, but in spots instead...

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Hmmm. I thought they were moonspots at first, but are moonspots supposed to be symmetrical?? I have no idea. Love moonspots but unfortunately, none of my goats have them. :(

11. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Can someone explain moonspots to me and why everyone's so excited over them?

12. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Moonspots are just colorful spots (markings) on a goat... Here's a pic of a goat with brown moonspots...hope this helps a little!

Edited: Picture wouldn't come up...go to this website... http://members.cox.net/foxcroft/genetics.htm tells a little bit about coat color and shows a pic of a moonspotted goat.

13. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I think her sire has moonspots, she's only 8 weeks old (?) can she have a copper deficiency at this age? I'm going to go clip her...and I'll get new pics of her sire.

14. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I doubt she can have a copper deficiency at that age. I don't have very much experience with that so maybe someone else can help...but I'd highly doubt it.

If her sire has moonspots then I betcha she has moonspots too! If you could clip her we could get a better idea and if you find a pic of the sire would be helpful also.

I think those are moonspots!

15. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh wow, really!?!?! Never would have guessed!

16. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yeah, I remember reading that on her website before. It makes sense because the kid(s) get whatever momma has and if she doesn't have something they need, then it'll show up. Yeah, that makes sense. Besides a funny colored coat, is there another sign of copper deficiency? I heard somewhere a bald tip on their tail???