The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my family and I recently traveled out of state to pick up a couple 4 month old boer does that will be shown. A few days after we brought them home one started developing a snotty nose and a cough. She had been eating, drinking and playing around like normal. I bought some VetRX and have been using that for a week and her cough has gotten better and her nose is less runny. That being said, both of them now have really runny eyes.
Any help will be greatly appreciated 馃檪

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay this is really helpful. I had never heard of shipping fever before, but I did some research. Would it be better to do a round of antibiotics or give her some goat serum concentrate? We keep antibiotics on hand at all time but try to refrain from using them when possible .

Have you had a fecal to rule out cocci? A new goat show family in our county had bought a wether and commercial doe that had very similar symptoms but otherwise seemed healthy and I did a fecal and they had enough cocci to warrant treatment and from my understanding they both have recovered.
I'm watching ours right now as we had our fair show last week and next day we had some with wet noses and cough. Not too bad but very noticeable. Our weather has been crazy, not to mention different hay (actually same hay/fields, but square bale vs. round bale and the squares seem more rich with clover and other grasses). I did fecals and see some cocci in there, so as a precaution we are doing cocci prevention on all of the kids. Any lingering with wet noses will end up getting LA200 which has worked great in the past for shipping stress.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update we started her on La-200 four days ago and will continue for two more days. We have a show at the the end of the week that we were planning on taking them to( it would be their first.) Opinions on if they should still go?

Registered
Update we started her on La-200 four days ago and will continue for two more days. We have a show at the the end of the week that we were planning on taking them to( it would be their first.) Opinions on if they should still go?
I do not show, but I am always hesitant to put extra strain on my goats' immune systems if I suspect they are fighting something. It can take a while for a goat to completely bounce back from a respiratory problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts