Does my goat have G-6-Sulfase?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Kimberly Colon, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Kimberly Colon

Kimberly Colon New Member

Jan 4, 2020
    New mexico
    I got Chloe on August 18th 2018, bottle fed with another goat, Faith. I'm not 100% on all of the information of the parents or the herd they came from, just that they are from different does but the same buck. Chloe seems to be a Lamancha but may have Nubian in her, Faith is a cross between Nubian and Lamancha.
    (1 year, 3 months old+ forgot what age we got her at.)
    She seems to be very weak and tired, falling asleep when shes standing up and shaking. I put her under a heat lamp and put her separate from Faith in a kennel for the night, she seemed cold.
    her tail is tucked under and her nose has snot running down it constantly. she seems to have trouble eating if youre lucky enough to see her eating, a loss of appetite?
    Comparing Chloe and Faith, Faith is far more superior and healthier than Chloe. Chloe seems to be a snotty nosed kid and very tired and loses weight very fast. she has broken a horn recently, but Faith has done that and she was fine after a couple of days once we stopped the bleeding.
    Faith seems to bully her a bit, both females of course but she pushes Chloe around alot, mostly during feeding and we've separated them a ton of times so that Chloe could eat but she just seems too cautious or just not interested in the food. (though, she loves her sweet grain.) Chloe has 3 teats, lack of muscle, shivering, immune function compromised, and the most important of this all, Chloe is so small, she had grown so slow the last year, shes barely grown at all the past couple of days.
    she has nothing in her gums, eyes. she has no diarrhea or white discharge from her nose, just the snot that sometimes I find reaches the ground- its disgusting. she sneezes a LOT. I know goats sneeze a lot, but chloe sneezes a bunch and she shivers afterwards.. she keeps putting her legs so close together underneath that one time she basically fell straight onto her face. she goes into circles in the pen but doesnt go near the heat lamp whilst in her pen, keep in mind this is a pretty large pen with a cover and plenty of shade/warmth, but she decides to walk out into the cold and fall asleep standing up. ive barely seen her lay down for a long time.

I read many articles on g6s and she matches with basically every symptom..
    my family seems to not notice but I think shes going either blind or deaf, im not sure. she takes a long time to notice im near her, but when she does she follows me all around, shes always distinguished me with food or mama. shes my baby, both of them are. recently shes been too tired and slow to move. and when I say recently, 3 months. I just thought it was cold but ive been warming her up and theres no difference. shes talking a little bit more but only when shes warm. even when its 70 (fahrenheit) with no windchill she seems to be cold. she also matches SOME of the symptoms of parasites, but I see no defects in her poop and again, no diarrhea, anemia is a big YES. that could explain the fatique, the lack of blood would make her cold, etc.

so please help me, because I need this.
    right now, the vet is not an option. We're barely passing by with the money as is and testing from what ive read is expensive, same with any other option, but for now I need to know what this is so I can go from there.
    Is it parasites?
    Is it g6sulfase?
    if not, What is it?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

First you need to start with taking a temp rectally. Normal is 101.5-103.5. When did you have a fecal to include coccidia done? Look up FAMACHA and assess her eyelid color. She sounds like a sick goat. Worry first about parasites and respiratory illness and ruling that out first.

3. Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Seeing that the are Lamancha, or Lamanchas/Nubian crosses its less likely to be G6S. G6S isn’t in Lamanchas so the probability any possible G6S genes got passed down from the Nubians is slim. I’d be looking at management.

618B3C63-44FC-48D6-9BD5-431C9D52CBD6.jpeg

GoofyGoat likes this.
  4. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Get a rectal temp on her and drench her with warm gatorade, like 100 degrees. It wont burn her mouth. Put your ear down to the left side of her belly. It should be gargling and growling. Listen for a while because sometimes it is a bit hard to hear. Probiotic paste is always great when a goat isnt feeling well. You can get it at tractor supply. I

Also take a look at this video

What is her poop like? Is she pooping/peeing?

GoofyGoat likes this.
  5. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Also in the video, I recommend to watch the whole thing, but if you want to know HOW to do it, skip ahead to 21:14, then go back and watch the rest.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    G6S usually exhibits as neurological symptoms, beginning with weakness in the hind end, paddling with the fore, overreaching, standing to sleep. The other symptoms you describe seem to be another issue. I would test this doe (pull hair for the G6S - UC Davis can instruct) and also test her for Johnes. These can take a while, but in the meantime, the first thing I would do is a fecal, temp, listen to lungs and evaluate her feed and minerals. If she had coccidia at a young age that was not treated, that can compromise her ability to digest and use her food productively, having damaged her gut. In that case she will always be a hard keeper and more susceptible to problems.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  8. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Also do know that G6S is NOT only in Nubians, it can be in other dairy breeds as well as boer goats and dogs. It is just more prevalent in Nubians.

9. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I have never heard this crossing to other breeds other than Nubians and nubian crosses? Could you point me to some articles to read on it? Im not arguing , I know new information is found in many things we think we know..: )

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    GoofyGoat likes this.
  10. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Which medications and dewormers do you have on hand?

Even without a veterinarian or laboratory testing, you are going to need medications to make her better. Can you afford to go to a livestock store and buy a few things? If no, perhaps you can find them a new home?

Sfgwife likes this.
  11. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    You need injectable iron (typically labeled for pigs at the feed store) and some syringes and needles.

12. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    The article was in an old copy of Dairy Goat Journal (since thrown out), but this was also recently mentioned in the Nubian Talk forum. Says most all are Nubian, nubian crosses, and can occur in other mediterranean and african breeds. I really wouldn't worry about it in most cases of boer - but if everything else is ruled out, it's worth taking a look at.

13. Goat Whisperer

Dec 3, 2018
    I'd love to see some documentation about this. Over the last few years there has been talk about G6S in other breeds yet no proof. So many things can cause similar symptoms. With it being a pretty simple test I'd think there would be more talk about this? If you would like to PM the FB group name I'd love to go over there and ask.

Nonetheless, it doesn't hurt to do the testing but if money is tight, I'd start with a fecal first. That kind of anemia would make me think parasites (poss. cocci too) or a heart defect (less likely, but it happened to a buck we bought).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    goatblessings likes this.
  14. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes and we have to be careful to make sure it's not just "Thought" on the subject. Pondering out loud can quickly become "false Fact" We really need to back up claims with facts. It's interesting and we should all have our interest peeked to find out. I look forward to reading up on it. Thanks goatblessings for bringing the subject up.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  15. Goat Whisperer

Dec 3, 2018
    Yes! This would be great information to know!

16. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Julie M House from Running River Dairy goats posted in response to an inquiry on the FB forum Crazy About Nubians. Julie documented a doe that she had that was affected, including pics, behavior, timeline, and unfornately the ultimate demise of her sweet doe. She has a post about this on her farm page - it's a weebly page - if you google her farm name you should be able to find it. I'm sure she wouldn't mind a private gentle inquiry - she has been through a lot with this - and has done research on her own because of her situation. It is truly a horrible disease - and something I always test for. I will never have an animal that is not G6S normal. I always test through ADGA - it goes to TVML UC Davis and at $25 it's a bargain IMO. It's nice we all keep learning from each other..... not much printed about this unfortunately.

Jubillee and happybleats like this.
  17. Goat Whisperer

Dec 3, 2018
    Does that address the idea of G6S in other breeds? I did a skim through it but looks like she’s a Nubian.

Not trying to hyjack, thought about PMing but I know others would to know.

What a sad story though. Such an awful thing. All our Nubians and minis were tested or neg by parentage.

happybleats likes this.
  18. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I will reach out to her sometime today and see if she has more info on the other breed stuff.... she is someone I do trust and don't want to bring up a lot of pain for her, but the sources she found would, I agree, be very helpful. I do know that very little has been done to test other breeds and the info is sparse.

happybleats likes this.
  19. Goat Whisperer

Dec 3, 2018