Does not going into heat..UGH!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by JessaLynn, Sep 21, 2010.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I have 3 Alpine does and 1 Nubian and NONE have gone into heat yet.Here it is end of September and nothing! :hair: My buck isn't helping cus he isn't interested at the moment anyhow.He's not doing his normal bucky behavior,no stink,tongue flap NADA! I'm impatient I know :GAAH: What can I do?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How old is the buck?

Do you have him in with the Does 24/7 .... if so....try taking him out of the Doe pen for a week or 2 ....this gives a fresh approach to hey look something new...I find if a buck is always in with the Does they get bored of each other...

If he is real young... he might not have the smell or know how...and I find the Does laugh at them and say yeah right...your to young.....but yet... when they are in standing heat.... they will allow a buck that is willing to do the deed service them........it is the scent... that helps to bring the Does in.....

If you can get a rag and rub the scent from a buck in rut.....a really stinky one....and put it in a zip lock bag....take it to your does.....and let them smell it...even rub some on the Does noses....it may help bring them in enough to show the classic heat signs....

Is the buck over weight or the Does? It can make the buck lazy....and the Does not come in or take when bred.....

This time of year... your right the does should be showing heat signs.....but some Does hide it well unless they have a buck in full rut and real nice and stinky.....

3. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    I'm having the same issue with my Alpine. She could care less about getting bred. My LaMancha/Boer doe was ready as soon as she saw the buck and I think has took. Now they are turned out with a 7 month old buck that I really don't think has a clue. He's starting to get stinky, but other than that, nothing. i'm getting frustrated. I'm like GET ON WITH IT WILL YA?! :ROFL:

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    imo its still rather early for fall heats..most ofmy does used to settle end ofoctober

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    My boers where in full blown heat... at the end of August........ where tested in mid Sept... and took... My girls are so naughty... :wink: :laugh:

6. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Mine arent in heat yet either...My buck is practicing though lol

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I agree -- you need to wait a bit longer to see those strong heats.

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    especially with the bigger dairy breeds.. boers and nigerians tend to breed year round and become complete hooches starting in august/september.. but my lamancahs neversettled early in seasons at all.. most were around november or december

9. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    My buck is 1yr 1/2 old and both does and buck are at a healthy weight.I just let the buck in with the does over the weekend hoping he would set em in heat but nothing :shrug: He doesn't even seem interested.I have 1 doe who will rub her head all over the buck like she's in love but no breeding going on.I'm gonna seperate them again and HOPEFULLY it will make em go crazy :p My does aren't producing much milk now so I NEED them bred asap so we can have milk again soon. I'm dreading going to the store to buy milk (YUCK!) I don't have enough stored to get us even threw a month :( We like milk what can I say :drool: I have 4 young (human) kids and they drink it ALL the time.My kids are nice and healthy though :)

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Well if the does arent in heat there wont be any breeding going on ;)

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    When putting a buck in with the Does... it can take up to 2 weeks...or so... to get them to come in season.... give it a little more time.... or as everyone mentioned ....maybe they will start cycling later in the fall and maybe you can try at that time .. ....good luck.... :hug:

12. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    He's still in with them so I'm gonna wait it out.Between 2 does I'm only getten a quart of milk now so just gonna stop milking them.Prayen it wont take long for them to go in heat.Thanks everyone for your feedback!

13. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I agree that it still is a bit early. October and November are when I start seeing real strong heat signs...I do have nigerians though, even though they breed year round.

14. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Ok now 3 of my does are in heat but buck isn't interested.My oldest doe is in standing heat and is really trying to get his attention but he just stands there like an idiot!! UGH!!SO FRUSTRATING! :(

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how old is the buck? Give him some time with her. Ashley had a young buck who had NO interest earlier today but eventually got it done.

16. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    He's 1yr 1/2.He has shown ALOT of interest this past spring and I had to even fight him off when I went to feed him lol

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    maybe he is mad for them taking so long to take interest :p

18. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    LOL well he better get happy and get busy or he'll be replaced :)