The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have never encountered this issue before. I had 8 does come into heat over the past two days. They all have been flagging to my yearling traditional buck. I put a few in with him and a few in with my 10 month old red buck. None of the does that I put in with the younger red buck want anything to do with him. But if they see the traditional buck they are backing their butts up to his fence🤦‍♀️

The Only time they will let the red buck breed them is if they are nose to nose with the other buck through the fence. I've never had this issue and was wondering if this is a common thing? The red buck is more than happy to get the job done.

The major difference I can see between the two is that the older buck has been in rut longer. By about a month. Would that cause this issue? The younger guy just came into rut.

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
Many times a more mature Doe will refuse a young buck..might have to keep him in with them a bit, as long as they dont beat him up..which I have seen happen.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Agree about them preferring a more mature buck but another thing could be the color they are not used too.

I saw this with horses before. My bay and white tricolored saddlebred we tried to breed to our palomino stud. At the time he had only covered black mares and had no interest in spotted mares. Maybe the does are having a similar behavior to what my stud did back then.

Just another idea.

Side note we put a black turnout blanket on her with a neck cover on it and placed in front a stall of one of the solid black mares. Next thing we know he covered her and we had a lovely foal.

·
Administrator
85,596 Posts
Get a rag and rub it all over the stinky older buck, then take it to the younger buck and rub it on him.

Does like the stinky older buck always.

The buck doesn’t have experience yet to chase the does and be aggressive at it. But usually will if they are at standing heat.
If they are hitting him away, the buck will be intimidated and may not want to try anymore. They look at him as a kid and don’t take him seriously.

It doesn’t help if they are sharing a fence, the does focus won’t be on the young buck at all.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The does that have been doing it are the first time yearling does. I even attempted moving him to the other side of the property and they still wanted nothing to do with him even in heat. There's only been one doe that has showed interest in him and that is my spotted yearling. So, I just made it work by letting the other girls talk to the other buck through the fence while the red guy breeds them. I guess it took some teamwork🤦‍♀️

·
Administrator
85,596 Posts
With some first timers, if I know they are in season and are fighting off or running from the buck.
I will tie up or hold the does for the buck to breed them.
Some young does are afraid and have no idea why this meanie is chasing them. 😆

It only takes one breeding after being held, for them to say, ok, I get it now and will stand for him thereafter. ;)

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,186 Posts
I have 3 bucks. My oldest is the Myotonic buck. He is gorgeous ( to me) and several of my does cry for him as they are flagging. My 2 other bucks are 18 months old.
I honestly think its his rut smell. He is soooo gross he looks brown. Hes a tri colored, white bodied buck when not in rut. But the younger boys are only front legged and face rut covered. I honestly dont think they smell near as bad as Titan the myo.
I think thats why my girls want him...he Reeks! 🤣😂

1 - 10 of 10 Posts