Does not putting on weight. Lost one :(

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TinyHoovesRanch, Nov 19, 2010.

1. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Ok so I had a little sickness with 2 of my girls a month or 2 ago.

My girls got really sick, both lost weight, had scours, runny eyes and noses.

Treated them for Cocci and all the problems went away

They got strength back, solid poop, still have a little runny eyes but its been really cold

Anyway they still look so skinny, I can easily feel the backbones. Its worrying me. They act normal, all sweet and playful. Its been cold here so Ive been giving extra feed. But nothing, they are still skinny.

Is it possible that theres something wrong with them?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Kinda worried, Does not putting on weight

did you treat for worms? what % feed are you giving them? and how much?

it takes time for kids to gain back weight lost because they are also growing and utilizing that food for their growth and maturing while also needing it to put back on weight.

personally I would be giving 1 cup of 16% grain twice a day. And if that doesnt seem like enough I would add BOSS and maybe even some shredded beat pulp to the grain mix

3. TinyHoovesRanch

I have to treat again for worms because the wormer I was using sucked. Now I have good stuff.

I will start giving more grain. So this is normal for them to slowly get the weight back? Ive seen improvement I just hate feeling the backbone.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

It takes time and if they are still fighting parasites then that will hinder any real weight gain

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I totally agree with Stacey.... it takes time... after treatment... for the weight to come back..... :wink: :thumb:

6. TinyHoovesRanch

Ok thanks so much guys....I guess Im just too worried all the time lol. They seem like they are healthy just the weight is killing me!

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Your welcome.... :thumb:

It is OK to worry...we all do.... :hug:

8. TinyHoovesRanch

Re: Kinda worried, Does not putting on weight. PLEASE HELP

Im seriously a wreck right now...I cant breathe....My mom went to check on the goats. EVERYONE is fine.....But she saw pearl, shes BAD shes barely breathing making the worst sound ive ever heard.

Were losing her....shes probably already gone.....

I just dont knw what to do....Maybe she had permanent damage?

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

I'm sorry Laura. :hug: :(

Kids go down very quickly when they get sick. It sounds like you did everything you could for her...sometimes we can only do so much though. :hug:

10. TinyHoovesRanch

Any idea why?

I also noticed that we havent seen her poop since she got sick. We assumed she was but Iguess its possible she never did.

11. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Very sorry. They're so delicate when they're little...

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She could have had a bowel obstruction of dead worms that may have been the reason she wasn't pooping. I'm so sorry you lost her :hug:

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I agree, Worms, probably liver fluke, I have a doeling who died like that too, I'm very Sorry :( :hug: Get some Valbazen or Ivomec plus into the rest of the goats asap. I'd also treat everyone for cocci again. :cry: :hug:

14. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    I lost a little one due to a cold a few month ago. We discovered about a month ago that he could have had worms and since he was already "weak", the cold spell didn't do great for him.

He came from a "good" breeder for this area, but it didn't appear to us until later that they were penned up quite tightly, which caused the worms (probably).

Anyway, another goat from the same breeder started falling fast last month. We were VERY worried about her after losing the little one. She ended up with bottle jaw, got very weak, lost appetite and weight. She'd lay down a lot, hardly graze, and you could quite easily knock her over if you just pushed her..And didn't get up right away.

After searching and searching for help, we found some suggestions.

So this is what we are doing.
    Worming her every 10 days (and the rest of the herd 30 days).
    3 iron tablets every day(I crush it and mix it with Honey, she loves it).

After about a week, the bottle jaw disappeared and never came back. She got stronger also.
    She wouldn't eat food until I put her in with the other goats (I know this is a no-no, but she was getting in the hay and spoiling it... so it was that or this), she FINALLY started eating grain, and she's even getting extra + free choice acorns.

She's doing better, she still falls a little if she trips, but gets up right away (unlike before). She also puts up a good fight to get her feed now, which is better than a month ago at least, and I don't feel her bones like I did before,, which were dangerously skinny...

She's due for another worming on the 23rd, eyes are still white, but I don't know how long it takes for them to go back to pink (can anyone tell me??).

15. TinyHoovesRanch

Everyone else has pooped, it all looks good and healthy. Also all the girls that were in the same pen are nice and healthy.

Pearl and Lotus were the only ones that got sick. Lotus looks good, barely can feel her backbone but pearl was bad, you could feel it alot and she just never really got better.

Im going to worm all of them asap

16. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Keep up on the worming too. Once you know they have them, they'll need it every 10 days for a month. Give them some iron, as it's a hard worming session, and they may need it.

I did the mistake on only worming my goat once, and her bottle jaw returned, after giving her it every 10 days, her chin hasn't swelled up again. You should notice improvement :)

I am sorry you lost one :( I lost 3 goats this year, I hope it's the last!

17. TinyHoovesRanch

For the iron, do you mean like normal iron pills for people?

18. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Well they have a certain medication for goats, I think it's Redcell, bot quite sure. I didn't have the money for it though, but I did have the iron tablets (yes human ones 65mg tablets), and they seemed to work well. The redcell might work better, I don't know. The other members might be able to tell you.

19. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I use redcell to boost goats who are looking a bit anemic (while deworming them of course). I average about 10cc for an adult goat, twice a day. Really helps. I say average cause they delight it letting it ooze out of their mouths onto me..