The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I had 3 does kid yesterday. 2 had singles, 1 had twins. Well, precious and jazzy have decided to share the 3 kids that the two of them had. Both of them are nursing all three.

I've never had this happen before. Should I be concerned or let them be?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Our twins we raised last year each had twins this year about two weeks apart. One of the does is letting all four kids nurse. While the other doe only lets her two nurse if they're both there. It's been difficult to keep weight on the doe whose letting them all nurse. I'm thinking this may be a good trait if we ever have an abandoned kid. But for now it's hard on a first time mom.

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
Eh, I'd let them be. My dry doe that wasn't bred this year started nursing 6! They grew like no other, I was actually happy about it :p
She supplemented them well, she is a 2.5 gallon milker, so she helped the other does out. She was jealous that she had no kids, so she came into milk and started feed other kids.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,911 Posts
It is cool to have does like that! Keepers! Never had goats do it, but our two queen cats shared 9 kittens a few months ago. One of them was nursing the other's kittens before she herself gave birth!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are 1/2 sisters. I got them on the same day from the same farm. They were bred to the same buck.

I'm hoping they won't get run down with 2 of them nursing all 3 kids. I've never had any do this before. They kidded within minutes of each other....literally.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Somewhat the same here.
I had two doe's kid in mid February, they are half sisters. One had twins the other had a big single buck. The one that had the twins let's all three nurse from her, the other mom only lets her boy nurse.
Also, when I got my new buckling he was 2 months old and not happy about leaving his mom. After about 2 day's here, he found out that a few of his new goat friend's had udders... He is now eating off of the mom that is nursing all the kids. She REALLY was not happy about the new kid eating from her, but he was persistent, I don't think she cares anymore.
As soon as I get my new buck pen built I'm hoping to get 3 of the 4 kids off of her, and then start putting some more weight on my doe.

Anyways! I don't think you have to worry too much. If mom and babies are all healthy, and mom doesn't mind sharing, I would let her keep at it. :)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Somewhat the same here.
I had two doe's kid in mid February, they are half sisters. One had twins the other had a big single buck. The one that had the twins let's all three nurse from her, the other mom only lets her boy nurse.
Also, when I got my new buckling he was 2 months old and not happy about leaving his mom. After about 2 day's here, he found out that a few of his new goat friend's had udders... He is now eating off of the mom that is nursing all the kids. She REALLY was not happy about the new kid eating from her, but he was persistent, I don't think she cares anymore.
As soon as I get my new buck pen built I'm hoping to get 3 of the 4 kids off of her, and then start putting some more weight on my doe.

Anyways! I don't think you have to worry too much. If mom and babies are all healthy, and mom doesn't mind sharing, I would let her keep at it. :)
Ok, that makes me feel better. One of the does actually lifts her leg for them to nurse. :)

·
1,524 Posts
I had an Oberhasli doe who always helped her daughters with kidding and mother and daughters always shared kid feeding duties.

Does like that are worth their weight in gold!

It shouldn't make it any harder on either doe, in fact it should make it easier on them both, sharing feeding suties like that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.