Does nursing themselves.

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Frosty, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Frosty

Frosty Active Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Swanzey,NH
    Is there anyway to discourage a doe from nursing herself. And if they continue to do this how would you ever get them to dry up. Hoping for some suggestion to discourage it completely. thank you

capracreek likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Have you tried putting something on that tastes bad like bitter apple? What about an E collar?

Goat_Scout and capracreek like this.

3. capracreek

capracreek Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2016
    Missouri
    There was just another thread on this subject and someone suggested a wide collar so they could not turn their head around and reach themselves. I will see if I can find that thread.

4. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Teat tape? I have girls who do it, but they only seem to do so if they are overly full of milk. Mine aren't "snackers".

5. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    I had a doe do this I used an old skirt and tied it at the back so she couldn't find her teats. It was funny to watch her try and get it off.

6. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Sounds like a video was in order!

7. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    You have the greatest ideas. I am totally doing that if I ever have a self nurser ;)

8. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

I've never dealt with this. My first thought was taping them. But now I'm completely on board with the Tutu Idea!

9. Frosty

Frosty Active Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Swanzey,NH
    Thanks everyone. If I can figure out how to tie a shirt of so they can't get it off I will try that. Next time I am out shopping will get some bitter apple. also