The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, has anyone had problems with curious herdmates (obnoxious yearling does in this case) pulling out one another's CIDRs way before they can be pulled? Already found one in the stall, and they are so darn expensive, don't want it to happen again!

Thanks!

·
Registered
212 Posts
We cut off the bottom knob so that the goats cannot grab them and pull them out.
We have thumbs so we can still get them, and the cidrs do not get lost in to goat or anything like that. You don't want to clip the whole tail piece off, just a few centimeters so that the knob at the bottom is gone.

If you do find a cidr, you can rinse it off, wash it in a light bleach solution and reuse it. As long as you sanitize it, it will be fine (sanitize not sterilize. Think cleaned not fumigated;) )

·
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had no idea you could reuse them. Good to know since it was only only in the doe for a day before she or a friend plucked it out. I had already cut the little ball off, she just got it anyway. Bad goats!

·
Registered
212 Posts
We try to only reuse them once and then the first doe needs to either be a virgin doe or she needs to have had an extremely clean kidding.

I'd say make sure the tail is placed well against the body. Short enough that you can grab it, but not so long that another goat can grab it.

I have also seen does manage to loose them by straining. Making sure they are placed far enough into the vaginal vault should help with that. We have used quite a few and every now and then one manages to find a way to remove them, sometimes they are just clever ;)

·
2,203 Posts
Make sure the CIDR's tail is hanging down, not up. Trim the end. Absolutely wash and reuse them. The hormone is built right in and we successfully reuse CIDRs (same-farm only) for up to 4 cows.

Cows pull them out, push them out, scratch them out, goats are only worse! :)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
What is a CIDR? :eek:

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Well that's interesting..... lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts