Does she have bloat? Now diarrhea and throwing up!!! UPDATE!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by bheila, Jun 8, 2009.

1. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I went out this morning to grain the girls at about 10:30am. I gave them each 1c goat chow and 1c alfalfa pellets. Right afterwards I started taking everything out of the goat shed to clean it. One of my does(Daisy) was tricky :shocked: enough to get the top off the 5gal bucket of molasses that's at least a year old. Before I could run fast enough to stop her she took at least 10 gulps. I couldn't believe it :angry: She was drinking it like it was water. It only took a minute before I noticed Daisy wasn't feeling well. Her fur was all puffed up looking and she wasn't moving very fast. She hasn't eaten anything at all today and she's been standing in the goat shed all day. I haven't even seen her drink water. She's pooping and peeing though. Her rumen in HUGE, she wasn't even that big/wide when she was pregnant. She doesn't have any froth coming from her mouth(she usually froths :drool: when she's waiting for me to put her grain in her bowl). I finally made the decision when I realized she wasn't coming out of the shed to give her Bloat Release at 6pm. It did make her burp some but she doesn't look any smaller. I walked her, made her run, :horse: massaged her rumen and even burped her like a baby sitting up right for about 30min after giving the Bloat Release to her. The only time I heard her burp was when I was giving her the meds in her mouth. So what else should I be doing for her? Do I need to give her more Bloat meds? :help: She doesn't seem too terribly miserable, yet! But you can tell something is wrong :tears:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Does she have bloat? Pretty sure!

to relieve bloat you will want to give her some baking soda and plenty of it

3. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa

Stacey-Won't the Bloat Release I gave her work? I can still give her baking soda, I just bought the Bloat Release because that's what everyone suggested to keep in case of an emergency. When you say a lot of baking soda, about how much should I give her? I have a 10lbs bag of it. I'm going to start giving her some soda and check on her now.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

well I dont know how much is a lot but certainly not all 10lbs ;)

I usualy keep giving like a 1/2 cup and then if I dont notice relief I give more and keep doing it till I see improvement.

I dont know what bloat release is so I cant help you there - I always rely on baking soda :shrug:

5. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Re: Does she have bloat? Yes, now she's got diarrhea!!!

I was able to give her 3/4c of baking soda last night. She burped a ton!!!! But still didn't look any smaller. I woke up this morning to hearing her scream. She has diarrhea all over the goat shed and herself. Shouldn't I be giving her pepto and probios? What's the dose for pepto. I have yogurt too. Is it normal for her to have diarrhea now? :help: Is there any other meds I can give her? I'm going to give her some more soda because she's still bloated looking.

6. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI

You could try giving her more baking soda or tums--it's a lot easier to get them to take tums and they have the same effect. I would probably try mixing electrolytes with water and maybe drench her with it if she is not drinking...she could get dehydrated and go downhill very fast if she doesn't drink.

According to the Fias Co Farm website, you use the human dose for Pepto.

If her last cdt shot was more than six months ago, you might want to give her c&d antitoxin to be safe.

7. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa

I found a dosage for pepto, it said 15-30cc's. I also gave her a shot of Vit B, she's really weak. I gave her some more baking soda but I don't think I'll need to give her anymore. It was suggested to give her some gatorade too. I had a wether get into some chicken feed a year ago and someone told me to give that to him when he was sick(before I found TGS). The vet told me that that's what kept him alive because I couldn't find a vet for 4 days to see him. I drenched him with 1/2c every 1-2 hours. Thanks for the advice, I hope she's gets better.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

the diarrhea isnt abnormal after consuming so much molasses. I would keep her hydrated with electrolytes or the gaterade and the pepto amount sounds about right. I usualy give kids the children's dosage and adults the adult dosage.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I agree with the others ...great advice.....good luck ...... :pray: :hug:

10. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Re: Does she have bloat? Yes, now diarrhea and throwing up!!!

So far the nothing is making Daisy's rumen smaller. Her diarrhea isn't as runny, it's more like cow pies now. I'm assuming because of the pepto. I came home from getting some supplies for her to find her drinking water but then she started throwing up through her nose/mouth and has been doing it all day so far. I'm keeping her hydrated with the gatorade. I have a call in to the vet about tubing her but I don't see how I can since she's throwing up. Should I try giving her oil next instead of the baking soda? Maybe GasX?

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

get activated charcoal into her asap. Throwing up is a sign of poisoning. I'd also get a vet out there. :hug:

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I agree with ...RunAround........ or possibly...you said she was almost like inhaling the grain.... she may have some blocked in her throat ...that may be causing the throwing up and making it come out her nose....the water could be puffing up the grain if she has a blockage....... I also agree... she should be seen by a vet immediately..... :hug: :pray: I does sound serious.... :hug:

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Pam, it wasn't grain that caused this problem, the doe sucked down a good bit of molasses.
    The vomiting is indicating that the gut contents went toxic....stop the pepto even though it semi firmed the diarhea, contact a vet and I may be wrong but getting some Milk of Magnesia into her will help her get rid of the toxins with diarrhea...better out than in. Some Lactated Rengers sub q will help with dehydration.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Thanks for the correction Liz... :wink: :greengrin: ....my bad.. :doh: :help:

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

:hug: No prob!

The thing with straight molasses in quantity is it will ferment ALOT faster in the gut than when it is mixed with grain in minuet amounts or cut with water...poor girl is likely "drunk" on top of the bloat

16. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

That is why activated charcoal will help, it will absorb the toxins.

I had to use some on one of my does the other day, she didn't like it, but it worked wonders.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

:wink: :greengrin: :hug:

18. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa

Thanks for keeping the posts coming :hug: I agree that the molasses fermented especially since it was already a year old.
    She doesn't looked bloated anymore, however she's still very round but not in a bloated kind of way. It's hard for me to explain. She's not more round on one side or the other. She not high on the sides but she's wide down below, does that make any sense?
    She's still throwing up but a lot less often and it's more clear then before whereas her vomit was full of her cud.
    I'm still keeping her hydrated and my husbands going to the store for the 4th time today for MOM and Charcoal. I really don't think she's bloated anymore. It's more like she has a really bad tummy ache. She won't even burp now no matter what I give her. I'll take her to the vet in the morning if she hasn't improved.
    BTW, there's no way for her to have eaten anything that could've poisoned her except the molasses.

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

the molasses is poisoning here is what they are saying

Vomiting actually isnt bad in this case, you want her to rid her body of the toxins that have built up from the mollasses.

I to would get some activated charcoal into her.

Note: molasses can deplete the body of thiamine so I suggest giving her some B complex shots when this is all over.

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Good luck with her ...and keep us posted.....I will pray for her....... :pray: :hug: