The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Listen to the rumen and see if there is any noises. Is she chewing the cud. If so she is probably OK. If she has it then massage her side. Give her some baking soda. Its hard to tell by picture. One side will be higher where the gas is trapped. Her belly will feel like a balloon. If its OK it will kind of mash in. Hope this helps. No expert here.

·
Administrator
85,630 Posts
She looks OK, could be a healthy rumen, is it at the end of the day then in the morning she is back down again?

If she isn't acting in pain or duress, she is OK.
With bloat, goats are in pain and real tight in the tummy, with the belly extended way above the rib cage.

You can give her baking soda/water in a syringe and do it slowly or a gasX, if you feel she is bloated and massage her left side, I can not physically see her so, I want you, to use your best judgment. Walk her and stand her up on a 12 inch high angle with her front hooves only. Massiage her throat from top to bottom.
And her left side.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm out with her now, and her rumen is hard and she just a made a bit of a whiney sound... She has Her tail down, and her side without rumen is can be pushed in... She's eating right now, and he was burping before she got to eat

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm out with her right now, and her rumen is hard, and won't squish in like her other side does... She made a whiney noise just a second ago and was burping like she was gonna bring up cud and didnt, and she started to eat hay so I put her back outside

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
She dont look bloated to me either but if you want to give her a bit of baking soda, it wont hurt...1/2 teapoon in enough water to drench...use a large syringe ..then message her left side and bounce her tummy a bit...listen for body sounds and rumen noise..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts