The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I had a comment that she looks under weight and very mineral deficient I thought Id ask in case Im just not seeing it? She looks rather pudgy to me ?Also mineral deficient which Im not seeing other than maybe the tail as a possible selenium deficiency? But she just got her dose of replamin coat is soft no other signs I can see. She gets replamin every 2 weeks copper bolus every 3 months as well loose minerals (ranchway cattle) lamancha cross age unknown she has all her big teeth. No grain she's on pasture only currently.
58A947C0-BA6E-47F7-AD9C-9A4D572F18D7.jpeg 7E7B059E-1269-4418-A16B-96AB3010E5A8.jpeg 97AFD057-496C-4E28-83F8-E96F57858011.jpeg 30BCE007-3ECD-4171-92E7-F23F65C70093.jpeg 4CC40B47-CAD3-4838-8940-FC05F0B642EE.jpeg

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
@healthyishappy, this is a selenium tail. Can you see the bend?

@bisonviewfarm I've been trying to show Nathan what is meant, and your pics are so clear. I realize you've said you're addressing that issue, so I wasn't calling you out on it. Thanks for understanding.

What breed(s) is she?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
@healthyishappy, this is a selenium tail. Can you see the bend?

@bisonviewfarm I've been trying to show Nathan what is meant, and your pics are so clear. I realize you've said you're addressing that issue, so I wasn't calling you out on it. Thanks for understanding.

What breed(s) is she?
Im not actually sure if hers is a selenium deficiency or just a late term pregnancy thing.she's my supposedly wasn't with a buck but is sure growing an udder doe. She's lamancha with I think some boer and who knows what else thrown into the mix.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Those dairy shoulders and rump coupled with the Boerlike colouring might be throwing people off, expecing her to have a more Boer build...

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those dairy shoulders and rump coupled with the Boerlike colouring might be throwing people off, expecing her to have a more Boer build...
Maybe she definitely doesn't have the full on boer build but she isn't quite dairy either. They've changed their mind since seeing more pictures so all worried for nothing I guess. :)

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Not a full on Boer build is what I was saying may have fooled people, who may have thought she was more Boer than she actually is. It was only an idea. Glad all is set now.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I see. Then yes, that could be a possibility. I would get a test done to know for sure. What do her tail ligaments feel like?
Test is a no go I couldnt get a vein to pop when I sent in my other girls so she's a wait and see. Her ligaments are still there but Ive noticed several of my does start the goofy tail thing long before they kid.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Test is a no go I couldnt get a vein to pop when I sent in my other gurls so she's a wait and see. Her ligaments are still there but Ive noticed several of my does start the goofy tail thing long before they kid
This late in the game if there is tail drooping you should also be able to observe fetal movement. Watch (and feel) closely.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This late in the game if there is tail drooping you should also be able to observe fetal movement. Watch (and feel) closely.
I rarely ever see movement even in my girl that had quads this winter and while she likes me she's not terribly big on touching any where that isnt her head and neck. She tenses up to the point you cant feel much of any thing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts